My Dive Plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's a good idea eponym. On the dive Ive described it's relatively shallow so what I will always do is to carry an smb, aprt from anything else I'm always concerned about the poss of making an ascent and running into a speedboat or other watercraft.

If you are diving alone one good thing about your plan is not to change it too often... You said that conditions were not too good and you changed your diving location. Allways make sure that you mention that in you initial phone call (no use knowing that you went in if they don't know whereyou did it) - and make sure that whoever is on the other side of the phone line also knows the location you are diving in... (exact location, position of the wall, usuall enter/exit points, etc. )

Good point, I did call and confirm new site, as well as new entry exit location and times. Anotherpoint I took into consideration was the nearest point of contact (if my mobile failed to work for whatever reason), on all sites whether i dive solo or with a buddy I know the nearest house(s) and nearest telephone boxes.

I'd also recommend whether diving solo or with a buddy to know the name of the nearest main road / town as a min, preferably grid ref also as the emergency services will not necessarily know a dive site by the name used by divers.

Dorsetboy, thanks for sharing your weekend dive with us. Given the grumbling and sarcasm we've seen about solo here, I thought it was exemplary of you to post your plans and ask for feedback.

I was in my neighborhood lake (Applegate, in Oregon) again yesterday, for two half-hour solos. Been working on navigation in the 3-meter viz (12-meter bottom). I'm still finding it hard to fin by compass, away and back, and return close enough to find my buoy line. But I seem to be improving slowly. Am very glad I learned to frog kick--it's become instinctive in that setting.

The lake's at 2000 feet (600 meters), but I live half an hour away at almost the same elevation. The drive home actually is mostly lower than that, although there is a high hill near the end. Your post reminded me to check just how high that gets, thanks.

I went drysuit very soon after my OW certification--all the local diving is cold water. Started with a lot of weight, of course, but eventually discovered it doesn't take much more than a 7-mil demands.

Fin on,
Bryan

DORSETBOY:
Hi Rick, diving went very well. Took a look at conditions from the road and it looked a tad murky so I went round to a site I know nr St Cat's (Loch Fyne). Similar profile, same max depth / time. No prob's re dive, an additional consideration is the altitude coming over the pass on the main road between Loch Long / Loch Fyne, because of this I always allow at least an hour and a half post dive - at max you're several hundred feet coming across the pass and I know of one incident of an experienced diver getting bent post dive after driving over the pass.

On the dive itself, the viz was pretty good, looked like it tailed off abit deeper than 15m but that was my max depth. Plenty of life, nice big dogfish, lobsters and a couple of smallish congers.

On a different note, one thing I'm gonna have to look at is getting myself a dry suit, really dont fancy another winter season up here in a semi and there's no way I'm not gonna dive for several months!
Sounds nice.
Yeah, I dive dry (well, MOSTLY dry) most of the time. In the winter it's mostly dive solo or not at all around here. And with water temps around 40F, a dry suit is a must. But I'll tell you what. There's nothing as peaceful as a quiet morning solo dive in a light winter snow. I'm actually looking forward to it.

[There's nothing as peaceful as a quiet morning solo dive in a light winter snow. I'm actually looking forward to it.]

Me Too !!!!!!! it's the best.

Cheers

thanks guys, I'm very greatful for all the feedback as I know that the vast majority of my experience is of diving in a buddy team. I'm hoping to take on board other people's best practice as I figure there's no point in me learning by mistake if other people have an answer! It's also interesting to hear that you guys seem to dive solo for much the same reasons as me.

thanks,

Greg Jenkins

hm, but please
exercises and practices should be done with a buddy of some kind... (unless you are just repeating them for fun)
if you haven't done it before (with a buddy) - don't try doing it solo

I understand your point hvulin, however I practice most skills at some point on either buddy or solo dives. Obviously I cant do buddy breahing on a solo dive!... for me navigation is part and parcel of the dives I do as viz can vary tremendously on different parts of the dive site and at different depths. Also diving in some sea lochs up here i have t be very careful where I go, so as not to stray into millitary restricted areas.. this has happened to other divers!!! (who surface to find a millitary police boat looking to pick them up!!!)

On a solo dive, the kind of skills I might practice would prob be buoyancy related, eg. on a safety stop I might practice fin pivots on the bottom or hovering in 1 position depending on depth.

DORSETBOY:
I practice most skills at some point on either buddy or solo dives. [snip] for me navigation is part and parcel of the dives I do as viz can vary tremendously on different parts of the dive site and at different depths. [snip] On a solo dive, the kind of skills I might practice would prob be buoyancy related, eg. on a safety stop I might practice fin pivots on the bottom or hovering in 1 position depending on depth.
Crikey, Dorset, you sound like a man after my own heart. I often dive just to practice something. My Oregon lake has a sharp thermocline at ten meters that traps sediment above and keeps the depths clearer.

We should dive the same lake solo at the same time some day . . .

Fin on,
Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom