My DCS Incident...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shadragon

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I mentioned in a post a week ago how valuable this forum was for education. I was encouraged to post what happened to me last May so that others could benefit from my experiences.

On Sunday morning I got up at 10 AM and had my usual breakfast. The weather was almost perfect for diving. Blue skies and quite pleasant. I grabbed my dive gear and started packing it away. I noticed that my computer had 3 minutes left on the 24 hour FLY countdown from the previous days dive. Saturday I had gone to Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick and done a test on my new dry suit with a buddy. 30 feet for 30 minutes and had no issues with buoyancy. So my Sunday dive would be after a 27.5+ hour surface interval.

Myself and three other divers caught the 12:00 Noon ferry to Deer Island for the high tide dive. It was definitely shorts weather.

We arrived at the Point to find at least 8-10 divers and a bunch of families having BBQ's and enjoying the weather. My dive computer recorded 88F in the sun and there was a mild breeze which kept things cool and the bugs away. We geared up on the picnic tables in a leisurely manner and were in the water right on time for the high tide. I had my new dry suit on and was looking forward to diving the Point in it. I was diving with regular air. I drank my usual amount of water before the dive.

Knowing I had the new suit my buddy said we should stay close and side-by-side in case I had problems with buoyancy. He took the lead and we descended to 85 feet. Viz was in the 10-15 foot range. Water temp 44F at it’s coldest. I had dumped my BCD on the surface and used the dry suit inflator exclusively for buoyancy for the entire dive. Whenever I felt suit squeezed or needed air for buoyancy I added air until I was just slightly negative. I wanted to stay a bit heavy purposely in case of current, but we encountered none.

Just prior to ascending I unscrewed the dry suit arm valve and we began going up the wall almost shoulder to shoulder. At no point was our depth more than 2 feet different. We went up slowly checking various openings in the rocks with our lights. Saw several lobster, wolf fish and lots of shrimp. We paused to feed one of the wolf fish urchins, but he ignored them. Every 30-45 seconds I rolled slightly to the right to raise my arm and was rewarded by bubbles coming out of the arm valve. By doing this I was able to keep neutral. We encountered no issues on the ascent at all. We came up to 15' and did our 3 minute safety stop. I noticed that our computers were both counting down for the stop. They were within 6 seconds of one another. After both computers had counted down we gradually worked our way back to the surface. We came out exactly where we had gone in. Max depth was 85 feet and total dive time was 31 minutes. My buddy congratulated me on my buoyancy in the new suit and we both had smiles. It was a smooth "picture perfect" dive with no problems. We left the water and walked back to the tables to strip off.

On a scale of 1 - 10, with 1 - 5 being in the green, my maximum nitrogen reading (TLBG) was 4. My ascent rate was in the 20-50 feet / minute range which is considered yellow on my computer. I have my DC set to the most conservative settings across the board. There was no alarm, beeping or other sign of anything out of the ordinary from a usual dive profile. I am an Advanced diver and have my deep dive course. I have been deeper for longer in the past and never had any issues. This was dive #47 for me. I came out of the water at 2:07 PM.

After stripping off my gear I had a half liter of water and we co-signed our logs. I put my gear away in the tote and saw I could catch the 3PM ferry so I waved goodbye and left the Point. It was a short drive and I made it to the ferry line-up at 2:50 PM. While sitting there I noticed my right bicep muscle was feeling strange. Hard to describe, but the closest I can come is when your leg falls asleep and it starts to wake up. No pins and needles, much subtler than that. Just strange. I put it down to suit squeeze and figured it was just temporary. Just as the ferry started loading I saw my left forearm had developed a 5 x 7 CM patch of red mottled or marbled skin. I held out my hands in front of me and they were steady. By pure coincidence I parked right alongside three other divers on the ferry. I mentioned my bicep and forearm and I was immediately provided me with a Pony bottle and second stage with 38% O2. They monitored me on the twenty minute ferry journey until we arrived at L'Tete. It was decided we would drive to the Irving convenience store in St. George and I kept the Pony bottle for the journey. Note: If you want to get stares from on-coming traffic drive from L'Tete to St. George with a bright yellow Octo in your mouth.

I arrived at the Irving store first and stripped off my pants as I had swim shorts underneath. I saw my left knee cap was solid red. The others arrived and with me still on the 38% O2 we talked about the situation. After about 5 minutes the feeling in my bicep spread to my right shoulder, my right thigh muscle got the same strange feeling and the mottling on my forearm became more pronounced. This time when I held out my hands they were visibly trembling. The others called an ambulance when I told them it was getting worse.

The ambulance arrived after 10 minutes. The paramedics were told I had been diving and after locking up my car in the parking lot, they loaded me into the back. I was put on 100% O2 immediately and strapped me in. They started to drive to the Regional Hospital in Saint John. During the trip I developed a sinus ache, which developed into a headache. I was conscious throughout and there was no actual pain, just discomfort. My muscles were sore at this point and when we got to the hospital emergency room they put me into a bed immediately and started 100% O2.

It became very obvious, very quickly that the Regional hospital does not see a lot of dive injuries. I was able to hear a lot of the discussions between the staff while I lay there. I was in bed attached to a cardiac monitor, O2 analyzer and blood pressure cuff. They drew blood samples and left a needle stub in my arm to attach IV's etc. The attending doctor came over and while he knew there was a dive organization that he could call for medical guidance he did not have the contact number for it. I had it in my cell phone (DAN 919 684-4326) and gave it to him along with the Nova Scotia hyperbaric chamber number (902 473-2220). I made sure to enter them in my cell when I saw posts on the NS hyperbaric chamber tour earlier in the year. Doing that saved valuable time. The doctors talked with the DAN doctor on the phone; with the symptoms I was presenting and the bloodwork they confirmed I was bent. My symptoms had leveled out and after an hour I started to feel better. During this time they were on the phone trying to find a chamber. The closest they could find through DAN was Halifax and on consultation with a Halifax based dive doctor I was told they would be flying me directly there. 10 minutes later they came back and told me they had to fly me to Moncton and transfer me to another flight onto Halifax. Then 20 minutes later they told me the pilot out of Saint John had exceeded his regulated flight time and had to take mandatory crew rest so the air ambulance was down. They then tried to set up an ambulance to take me which would mean a 4 hour road trip.

There was conflicting information and a few minor flares of temper were seen in the staff discussions because of the contradictory information they were getting. As I said, I was right by the desk and could see and hear a lot of these discussions. The staff did keep me regularly apprised of the changes and I should point out that they were very professional and I always felt I was getting the best of care. Please don't misinterpret the above as anything negative. I am in no way being critical of the staff there. They dealt with the situation (and many other concurrent ones much worse than me) as best as they could.

After two hours in the hospital my thigh had gotten better and the redness on my arm was reduced. Then I heard the word 'Canaport' in the discussions for the first time. Canaport is owned by Irving Oil. They have an off-shore chamber for their commercial divers. I heard they were arranging for a tug boat to take me out there. I found out later that one of the ER staff had worked at Canaport and the dive doctor in Halifax had called them. The sticking point (and the point of even more desk discussion) was it was hospital policy to have a physician in attendance and as Canaport was private they only had dive medics. That was good enough for me, but they had to work through the red tape. Then we heard they had a smaller portable chamber in the city in the old dock yard. They started to make arrangements for transporting me there.

(Continued)

(Part II)

At the start of the third hour I was feeling much better, but ravenously hungry. I had not eaten since 10:30 in the morning and I asked if I could have some food. 20 minutes of "Yes, he can eat" and "No, he cannot" debate followed as they didn't know if DCS precluded food. Eventually, I was told they would bring me some sandwiches. After 45 minutes a full dinner tray arrived and I could smell hot food. I pulled off the plate cover and saw mashed potatoes with chicken and gravy. Not a lot of it, but mana from heaven at that point. Just as my fork hit the chicken the curtain was whisked aside and two ambulance attendants arrived with a gurney to take me away. One of them pushed the food tray away from the bed in preparation of moving me. Just before they started they turned to the desk staff to confirm where they were taking me. They disagreed on the destination and more discussion followed and they ended up in a group with more talks at the desk. When they turned back a few moments later they saw me eating like a mad man, wolfing down the food. Decent fellows that they were they let me finish most of the meal before pushing it away again. I never did get to the chocolate milk or pudding.

Just before they put me on the gurney I asked the ambulance attendant that the needle stub in my left arm be taken out. He asked why and I told him I was going into a hyperbaric chamber and it might not be a good idea to have a direct way for high pressure air to get into my bloodstream. He looked at me with a funny look so I added that I wanted to avoid an embolism. He got the doctor and explained the situation. He thought it was a good idea and instructed a nurse to come over to take it out.

They loaded me into the ambulance and took me to the old dry dock in Saint John. The ambulance crew had never been there before and went to the three different sets of gates before finding the right one. At this point I had been on 100% O2 for 4 hours. The majority of the symptoms were gone and only my bicep was still giving me issues. It felt the same as waiting for the ferry. The mottling was there, but reduced, hand shakes were minimal and I knew I was on the mend.

We arrived at the Canaport chamber and I was greeted by a half dozen people outside a non-descript wooden shed. Bob White is a dive medic and works for Irving Oil. He supervised the whole procedure. First I was questioned by another medic about my dive, previous dives, symptoms, etc. They took blood pressure, heart rate, etc. I explained about the symptoms disappearing, but they felt I still needed treatment. I signed a waiver; they took my dive computer, watch and cell phone off me before going in. The chamber was 48" interior diameter and about 9 feet long. They had sleeping bags set up with pillows, water and O2 masks or bibs as they called it. One of the medics came in the chamber with me and they took us to 60 feet. They stopped a few times so I could clear my ears and we were at depth in about 2 minutes. Time of treatment start was 20:24. They put me on 100% O2 and I relaxed on the sleeping bag. The medic did a 12 point neuro check and I was fine.

Over the treatment time I was tested and observed continuously. They switched out minders every hour or so and they all did their best to keep up my spirits. When you have an O2 bib on conversation is difficult. I had a lot of time to lay there and think. I found myself examining every aspect of my day, diet, water consumption, stress, exercise, dry suit, the dive itself wondering what I did wrong. Except for the new dry suit, I did nothing different than a dozen other dives at the Point. I asked if the dry suit could have contributed to this and they said that as long as I was not badly squeezed (which I wasn't as I had used the dry suit for buoyancy) then it was not a factor. A couple of the pro divers had the same exact suit as me. They had looked at my computer and confirmed I was in the green for nitrogen. When we could talk, I asked their opinions. They asked if I had done my safety stop and I told them I did one religiously no matter how deep I went (You can see the three minute safety stop on my DC clearly). They said I was in the minority as many folks skipped right through them. They called my buddy and passed on I would be OK and asked how he was. He was fine.

At the time I was 43. Physically I am in great shape. I am 6’ 2” and 195 lbs. I hike, bike, backpack camp and exercise daily. No alcohol or drug use and I eat reasonably healthy. One of the minders said he was a pro diver. He is 29, smokes, does not exercise beyond work, skips safety stops and has never been bent. He said he had seen divers do a dive and have no issues and the next time on the same profile they get bent.

Hour two of the treatment and the minder noticed my stomach was louder than the air vents. He called for some food and on the next changeover they gave me a thick tinfoil plate. Ladies and gentlemen, let me tell you that sirloin steak tips in gravy and thick sliced buttery carrots consumed at depth is a wondrous thing indeed...

Soon after they reduced the depth to 30 feet. Then more O2 and time. In last hour I had Bob in with me. He was amazed it had taken 4 hours to get me to the chamber. It turned out that the Halifax dive doctor had called them directly after the air ambulance option disappeared. The medics were concerned about the amount of 100% of O2 I had taken. I had been on O2 for four hours in the ER and ambulance. They kept their eye on me to ensure no O2 toxicity. Apart from a slightly swollen right eye and a few minor twitches, I was fine after 9+ hours of O2 exposure. Bob joked that I had passed my O2 toxicity test.

The only contributing factor that we could come up with was dehydration. I had started diving in the fall of the previous year. Temperatures were cool and knowing the dangers of being dehydrated I drank water before and after each dive. That worked and allowed me to dive without incident. However as the year progressed and got warmer, I still drank the same amount out of habit. When the hot temps arrived I did not raise the amount I was drinking to compensate.

The final half hour was spent ascending at 1 foot per minute. It took 30 minutes to come up the 30 feet. The skin mottling was almost completely gone at the end. I was out at 1:33 AM with a total chamber time of 5 hours and 9 minutes. When I was released back into the outside world they took my pulse, blood pressure and O2 saturation readings. They said I was fine and then called the ambulance to take me back to the ER. While waiting for the ride we talked as a group. A lot of divers, pros as well, often ignore the minor symptoms of DCS or attribute them to other things. I was told one pro diver ignored them and he was found 24 hours later doubled over and unconscious.

The ER took one last set of vitals and then kicked me loose. Ironically the doctor who examined me at that point was fully conversant with DCS. It was 3:00 AM. I took a cab back to St. George, picked up my car and drove back to St. Stephen. I was in bed by 4:30 AM. Long day.

Lessons Learned

1) If you are ever in a similar situation, you have to be proactive. Have the DAN and local hyperbaric chamber phone numbers with you, get the medical staffs attention and give them the numbers. They were on with DAN three minutes after I gave them the number.

2) If you are on 100% O2 you get dehydrated. Make sure you drink something. I had to ask for water in the ER. It is not delivered automatically when they are busy and they were that day. In the chamber they had a half dozen water bottles and they pushed the fluids on me. Also, if I had not mentioned the needle stub in my arm I may have gone into the chamber and had the potential of an air embolism.

3) On the Deer Island ferry the other divers giving me 38% O2 from the Pony helped. To what extent it helped I don't know, but it certainly didn't hurt especially as I was getting worse at the time! I told the ER doctor the divers had given me the enriched air. He said one word - "Smart." If you have an enriched air mix to give to someone with suspected DCS, give it to them. The higher the O2 percentage the better. If nothing else it will retard symptoms to some degree for a time. Something is better than nothing.

4) The Canaport chamber(s) is not listed with DAN as it is a privately owned chamber through Irving Oil. The closest "official" chamber is in Halifax. The medics said they offer the chamber to the Province of New Brunswick as a community service to NB based divers. They don't list it with DAN as they are a business and have to support their own dive operations and divers first. They said they will be touching base with the hospital to try and cut down on the wait time and confusion in the future.

5) Take your Dive Computer with you and give it to the dive medics. While I was in the chamber they scrolled through my dives and other info and saw exact numbers for nitrogen, O2, etc. You may be in a condition where you cannot talk when you get to the chamber.

6) Don't ignore the symptoms. It is better to say something and find nothing than assume it is nothing and be wrong. At the very least don't be alone so help can be called if you need it.

Luckily, I was with people who knew what to do and they got me into the right hands as soon as possible. The guys in and on the chamber were off duty when the call went out. They gave up time with friends and family to come in and help me. Prior arrangements were cast aside to help a complete stranger. On site they were first rate pros and I never had the slightest apprehension when in their hands. I knew exactly what was happening and why at all times. Something like that can never be repayed. Thanks to Irving Oil and their generous gift to the local diving community.

Note the following info:

DAN
919 684-4326

Safe Diving All...

Thanks so much for the great information... this was one of the best descriptions of the process I've read and it does a great job explaining what may happen should the situation arise. Thanks and safe diving!

This is an awesome account of a situation any of us could find ourselves in. Thanks!

What a great account! Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you're okay now!

shadragon:
3) On the Deer Island ferry the other divers giving me 38% O2 from the Pony helped. To what extent it helped I don't know, but it certainly didn't hurt especially as I was getting worse at the time! I told the ER doctor the divers had given me the enriched air. He said one word - "Smart." If you have an enriched air mix to give to someone with suspected DCS, give it to them. The higher the O2 percentage the better. If nothing else it will retard symptoms to some degree for a time. Something is better than nothing

You are taught on the PADI Rescue course to give patients the highest o2 mix you have at hand, be it 28%,32%,40% - whatever - it doesn't hurt. Sounds like you had some Rescue/Divemasters at hand!

I have gone as far as to write up a dive emergency plan for the two sites I dive at here in Georgia with contact data, nearest chambers and emergency information (including driving directions) I suggest you might want to write one up and keep it in your dive log for sites you dive a lot. For the format I use take a look at:

http://www.scubamage.com/files/Dive_Haven_Quarry_Dive_Emergency_Management_Plan.pdf

I modeled it after plans used by several research groups and universities.

Mike

mikerault:
I have gone as far as to write up a dive emergency plan for the two sites I dive at here in Georgia with contact data, nearest chambers and emergency information (including driving directions) I suggest you might want to write one up and keep it in your dive log for sites you dive a lot. For the format I use take a look at:

http://www.scubamage.com/files/Dive_Haven_Quarry_Dive_Emergency_Management_Plan.pdf

I modeled it after plans used by several research groups and universities.

Mike

Already done. I did it as part of my Rescue course last year, but I do like your format. I may amend it slightly.

Cheers.

Good post.

One thing I'd point out about hydration, drinking immediately before and after the dive is good but may not be enough. You should make sure that you're taking in enough fluids a good 12 - 24 hourse before diving. Of course, the best is to always be adequately hydrated.

You didn't give all that much information about your actual profile but I wouldn't be so quick to assume that it was ok. After all, you did get bent. It's great that your computer liked it but your body didn't.

Lastly, I'm no doc but I don't think the needle in your arm would have been a problem.

shadragon:
(Part II)
Lessons Learned

1) If you are ever in a similar situation, you have to be proactive. Have the DAN and local hyperbaric chamber phone numbers with you, get the medical staffs attention and give them the numbers. They were on with DAN three minutes after I gave them the number.

DAN
919 684-4326

Safe Diving All...

Glad to hear that you're okay, and thanks for sharing this with the group. I live in Florida, with the closest chamber not too far away. But I will be adding their phone number, as well as DAN's, to my cell phone. Great idea. Thanks!

Something else I might suggest is to add another entry to your cell phone. ICE, In Case Of Emergency, is a universal entry that emergency personnel should recognize in the event that an individual is unable to communicate, and someone needs to be contacted. Could help save a life, not to mention eliminating valuable time trying to locate family or friends.

Back
Top Bottom