My DCS I might go away in by tomorrow??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex in L.A.:
I'm sure the 30-day wait makes good empirical sense based on real-world experience, but I'm curious about the theoretical basis for it. ...
Don't know the reason. All I know is DAN says 30 days and I went with the doctor who said 7 days. Mistake, got bent again. It was just too soon.

Doc, what is the reason?

BigJetDriver69:
The latter. Poor perfusion in the damaged areas.
Thanks. Is it a good idea to abstain from diving while recovering from non-DCS injuries -- say, with a stiff shoulder from playing football? If not, why not? Do the different types of injury affect blood flow in the tissue differently?

Hello Readers :

Persistence of Bubbles

It is doubtful that bubbles (nuclei of some sort) persist for weeks. I could believe a few days based on anecdotal reports of injury and then flying. Bubbles will shrink away because of surface tension effects. New ones will be generated from hydrodynamic cavitation (e.g., from moving around in a 1-g environment). This is a condition that will lead to a steady-state condition with respect to nuclei concentration (my hypothesis not necessarily believed by all barophysiologists).

DCS and Injury

There are conditions where injury can lead to an impairment of blood flow. One example is edema (= swelling) and the constriction of capillaries. In general, medical advice will recommend that caution be exercise when dealing with any problem involving nerves. There are cases where the nerves are alive but not functioning well because of hypoxia (so-called “idling neurons”). Further blockage of blood vessels could lead to nerve death.

There is also the case of “plasticity” where neural signals are rerouted or other portions of the brain take over a function from another part of the brain. This can occur only so many times; further injury will result in a permanent neurological deficit. Thus diving with too short an interval between an injury and another possible case of gas phase formation/growth can lead to trouble. This applies also to nondiving- related injuries.

Dr Deco
:doctor:

After my bout with Type II DCS I received 4 different recommendations on flying and diving after being symptom free. For flying I was told 3 days, 7 days (x2) and 14 days, since I was still overseas I elected for 8 days and worked on my tan . Regarding diving again I was told 7 days, 30 days(DAN + local doc) and 90 days, I waited 6 weeks (2 dives with 34' max). When I asked the medic at DAN regarding this he said it was all "theory", but told me if you injury the same area again it may not resolve from treatment. After being partially paralyzed and in a world of hurt you have to ask yourself ... "Is diving really that important? " Just food for thought if you think you were really injuried.

would still be interesting to know the original dive details here as that would help to pinpoint whether you were in fact in the zone where DCS could be considered.

Sorry to dig up old threads, but I'm just starting to read through the dr deco stuff.

Anyway, I have disc damage in my neck 4th and 5th vert (not a dr, so I think that's right). That damage causes tingling in my hands, so I can't use that as a test for anything DCS related I'm guessing.

But, since it is affecting my nerves, are you saying that those nerves are getting worse as I dive? Does diving affect this "injury"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom