My DCS I might go away in by tomorrow??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dr Deco:

DCS Remission

In general, joint pain DCS will remit on its own. HOWEVER, it is never clear that neurological DCS will not develop as joint pain is vanishing. Thus it is not a good idea to treat DCS with “tincture of time” and simply wait it out without a treatment plan. Quaffing down beer and aspirin under the mistaken notion that one has “the flu” is bad medicine. One should have a definite plan following a dive if pains and such are not attributable to another cause.
Just got back from the Doc that was refereed to me by Dan, and both agree that I have a mild case of DCS I. The odd thing is, they say for me to wait until tomorrow afternoon to see if the symptoms diminish. If they are the same, I'll take a chamber ride. If they get worse between now and then, I'll go right in for the ride (the doc gave me his cell phone and said to call even if it's 3am). It the symptoms diminish, they won't give me the treatment.
The symptoms are a remitting tingling in parts of my right hand (like it is asleep) and pressure (heat) in the same arm. No pain. None. It does feel "weird" though. I didn't even think it was DCS, but they say they are sure it is (due to symptoms, the fact that the symptoms started during a flight home, etc.).
It just seems strange that they want to wait to see if it goes away on it's own. Does this sound right???

This makes no sense, why wait???

ShakaZulu:
This makes no sense, why wait???
Exactly! I don't know. And the worst thing is, he said I have to cancle my dive this weekend.

don't we read a lot of stories along the lines of:

- DCS symptoms
- diver ignores symptoms / doc advises to wait
- symptoms get worse
- chamber treatment
- permanent disability
- diver regrets not having hit the chamber sooner

have you tried 100% O2 and did it make anything feel better? if 100% O2 makes you feel better, i'd assume bent and hit the chamber right away...

hope it all works out okay...

Rick Inman:
Just got back from the Doc that was refereed to me by Dan, and both agree that I have a mild case of DCS I. ... The symptoms are a remitting tingling in parts of my right hand (like it is asleep) and pressure (heat) in the same arm. No pain.
What strikes me as odd is -- wouldn't tingling be indicative of type II?

man, I'd get another opinion... Waiting just sounds a little crazy to me if their so sure your bent. If you have DAN insurance why wait, the trip to the chamber will be covered. Good luck to you!

Rick, any idea what might have happened in your diving to cause this?

Rick,
Not a doctor or expert on the sujbect. But you should also plan on cancelling your diving for at least 30 days AFTER the symptoms go away. That is DAN's advice. After my chamber ride my Chamber doc said 7 days, and I went diving again exactly 7 days later (but all the symptoms were not completely gone) and I went to two more rides in the chamber.

I will also agree that it is odd they are having you wait. I would call DAN again and discuss your treatment with them.

Now for the "how did this happen part"
How many dives in how many days to what depth?
How long after last dive before the flight?
How was your hydradration and rest?
Any other items that you can think of that may have caused this? Rapid ascent etc? Inquiring minds want to know.

mccabejc:
Rick, any idea what might have happened in your diving to cause this?
Just got off the phone with the doc.
From last night at 9pm until this morning at 8am I had NO symptoms, Then, they came back this morning. Soooo... both the doctor and Dan have decided this is NOT DCS. The doctor said he thinks it's dive related only in the fact that it was caused by lifting my gear. YEH! I can dive tomorrow!!
Feeling kind of sheepish right now, 'cause I wasted Dan's and the doctor's time and posted this at all. :shakehead :sorry19z:

Don't even think of feeling sheepish. You did the right thing, called the right people, and didn't rationalize it away. Can't do better than that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom