My daughter gave me a quick message last night, "Quit Dad".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sideband:
Have either of you thought about her getting involved in a water safety campaign or the like. Might be a positive place to channel the hurt if she can take it. That sounds like a lot of friends for one person to lose that way. May be too much though.

I think that is a splendid idea, Sideband, although, like you said, it may be contingent on how strong she is. It is bad to lose friends like that.

Gary, you'll never know how much respect I have for you and for all PSD's, because there is no way to measure it. I have thought about seeking PSD training in the past, and it may be something I pursue further on down my diving future. You people dive in the worst possible conditions and under the worst possible circumstances imaginable. My hat will ALWAYS be off to you and your comrades-in-arms, and I can only hope (if I ever do decide to pursue this) to display a fraction of the courage that you do in your profession.

Thanks everyone for the kind encouraging words.

If I were to tell my daughter I was quitting the dive team she would have a fit. She would like to see me retire from the department but stay on the team, which might happen someday. She doesn’t know what it’s like with me off the team. I started with this one in October 1976 and she was born May 9,1977.

She just wants her friends, co-workers and classmates to quit doing stupid things. She has lost 10 of her classmates since graduation. Most died in stupid accidents and one from cancer.

She’s much better today, at least on the outside.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
She just wants her friends, co-workers and classmates to quit doing stupid things.
Gary D.
That's what I was trying to say. :wink:

Gary D.:
She’s much better today, at least on the outside.
That's good. Hopefully on the inside as well.

Joe

I've been on the Sheriff's Office Dive Team for five years, and been a detective for three and on the traffic crash reconstruction team for two years...all too often, when I get called out, its bad. my wife freaks a bit when I get called out to recover someone, but I remind her that I have to go and with a water recovery, I think about the family on the bank. I've had to make death notifications and that's not something I would wish wish on anyone. You don't pick the job, the job picks you.

Hang in there Gary.

It's the darkside of public safety whether fire, ems, pd, dive rescue, sar, etc.

It is always hard when it is someone we know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom