My Dark Narc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Humm, had this last summer around 98ft but couldn't name it. Though it was physical, ascended a little ways - it cleared and I continued the dive at the shallower depth.

Now I'm not clear, is it was physical, psychological or a combo? I believe you are saying it is possible to stay at the depth and breath through it? - or should one asend a little ways?
It is possible for many people to learn how to stay at depth and breathe through it. In fact, with practice, many people can learn to head it off before they need to breathe through it. Do not expect to master this skill in one try. It takes time and practice and visualization exercises on the surface.

I wanted to get back on the horse, so we changed tanks and went back down to 90 feet, but much slower this time, without incident.

Any input regarding to rate of descent related to narcosis? Last weekend I dove Blue Grotto FL, and I noticed I had the Paranoia at about 80'. My buddy was having equalization problems at about 70', So when I turned around for psychological reassurance he was just out of site above me. I backtracked to my buddy and we both communicated to each other that we wanted to ascend to shallower depth (for different reasons). We had done a moderate rate of descent....we did not rocket down, we took several minutes to work our way down to 50', then we initiated our deeper descent, which we did fairly steadily.

at my deepest point I was at 86', and this was my deepest freshwater dive to date. I've been down this deep in salt without incident (at least that I noticed). My previous experience with Narcosis was during my 110' "wreck and 100' "deep" as part of my AOW Cert.

I understand that Narcosis can affect the same person differently each dive, but I am curious if there is any subjective experience that people feel will mitigate or reduce the effects......(yeah - I know ---go trimix)

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom