My Dad is coming to stay.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
....for 10 days.

We haven't spent 10 days together since I left home when I was 17. Now I'm 55 and he's 78. It'll very probably never happen again...he's traveling from Somerset, UK to Kyushu (Japan)

It's an odd thought......I never really thought about the import until this evening....probable last visit like this and all.....

You only have one family.......
We're gonna have a ball.

I would give anything to be able to share time with my parents again.. Have fun, but remember that they don't care if you are 55. They will still treat you like your 8 years old the entire time.

CheddarChick:
I would give anything to be able to share time with my parents again.. Have fun, but remember that they don't care if you are 55. They will still treat you like your 8 years old the entire time.
Yeah I know.

The funny part is how that can make you feel that you still ARE only 8 years old.

This is special. I had a falling out with my Dad in my youth - we virtually didn't speak for around 30 years. Luckily that's all buried now and we get on great. I'm not sure who has changed the most - him or me! :D

Hopefully it won't really be the last such event...

My father's passions are fishing and golf, and I was never into either one... too busy. After my father's heart attack twenty years ago, I took up golf to spend more time with him, not knowing what the future held. Now that I am semi-retired, we golf together two to three times a week. At age 80 and after two bypass operations, he still scores in the low 80s to my high 90s... and I feel happy that neither one of us will go to the great beyond wishing we had spent more time together.

Kim... Enjoy this time together as it appears you plan to. My Dad and I had a falling out that lasted decades, although we still saw each other at family events during that time and were not totally alienated. During his last two years we had a number of great times together as we patched things up. It meant the world to have had those times together.

Oh, whoa.

Will be thinking of you and hope you are having fun!

(talk some politics, maybe? :wink: )

thats a long flight tell him to take an aspirin and drrink some water. I worry about the older guys sitting too long. Sometimes they are less apt to get up and walk....

he will enjoy your girls.

I hope you guys have great time and may he enjoy the local cuisine and culture, maybe even a whale burger, or shark fin soup :wink: :D

lol

poor Kim, he takes so much grief. --I'd like to be a fly on the wall, see what his dad is like.

catherine96821:
lol

poor Kim, he takes so much grief. --I'd like to be a fly on the wall, see what his dad is like.

I have a feeling he might be a lot like Kim....only a little less cantankerous! LOL :)

Kim, I hope the visit goes well. I had very little to say to my father as an adult, and I keenly regret that loss. He was extremely difficult, a hard, brutal, and cynical man. The word 'love' never passed between us. He was a WW2 Marine, wounded on Guam. He refused to speak about any of it, and carried a lifelong deep hatred for so many thing: authority, government, those who own and run things. He hated but respected the Japanese. Too many of his friends were killed before he reached the age of 20.

I am still troubled by the facile and thoughtless comments made by some, and I can understand your frustration and anger. Few things are more infuriating than the smug certainty of the militantly ignorant. Many of us here in the US have very different beliefs and attitudes. We remember the million Commonwealth soldiers, and the nearly two million Frenchmen who died during WW1. The US has really not suffered those kinds of heavy losses of life in any of its wars, except for the Civil War. Talk is cheap.

I have been a great admirer of the War Poets ever since I encountered them one long ago spring morning, in a survey literature class. I continue to read them. For some reason, the words of one have been haunting me since yesterday.

Charles Hamilton Sorley, a captain in the Suffolk Regiment, wrote:

'...earth that blossomed and was glad
'neath the cross that Jesus had
shall rejoice, and blossom too
when the bullet reaches you..."

and

"When you see millions of the mouthless dead
across your dreams in pale battalions go
say not soft things as other men have said,
that you'll remember, for you need not so....."

He was killed at Loos by a sniper in 1915.
I wish you the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom