My Dad attacked by shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, sorry 'bout the accident. Glad to hear your dad's going to be o.k. GEEEZ - only 10 ft of water? Guess you never know what's lurking below (even if below is nothing). Hope all goes well. Let us know how the shark dive goes later.

Newspapers picked up the story today. Here it is.

http://www.local6.com/news/3632142/detail.html

Shark Attacks Fla. Man In Gulf Of Mexico

POSTED: 7:14 am EDT August 9, 2004
UPDATED: 7:27 am EDT August 9, 2004

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- A 47-year-old man said he was attacked by a shark, which bit a square-foot piece of flesh out of his back, while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico.

James Tiffee, a Navy SEAL, was in stable condition Monday at the VA Medical Center at Bay Pines. He underwent four hours of surgery on his back, which required skin grafs, and suffered bites to his buttocks, his left hand and the left side of his face.

Tiffee said he was swimming to visit friends in a yacht anchored Big Bayou on Friday evening when he was attacked.

"I felt the impact on my back and was lifted ever so slightly into the air -- I realized pretty quickly it had to be a shark," Tiffee said.

His friends on the yacht, David and Jane Santos, heard him screaming and rescued Tiffee in their dinghy. David Santos drove him to the VA Center while his wife held a compress on Tiffee's bleeding back.

The shark was about 4 feet long, the Santoses said.

"I was swimming at feeding time and was splashing my legs around," said Tiffee. "I couldn't have done anything (worse) but to have slit my wrists in the water."

Last year, there were 31 shark attacks in Florida, none of which were fatal, according to the International Shark Attack File at the Florida Museum of Natural History. Most of the attacks occur on the east coast of Florida, not the west, said George Burgess, director of the Florida Program for Shark Research.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, and wish him a speedy recovery. I think I speak for many shark lovers when I say how I appreciate his comment. (below)

"I was swimming at feeding time and was splashing my legs around," said Tiffee. "I couldn't have done anything (worse) but to have slit my wrists in the water."

I am also sorry to hear about your dad. As you as read, your family are in our thoughts (Scubaboard members). We are also your family.

NAVY seal, BABY seal, they look the same in murky water.

a speedy recovery to him.

"NAVY seal, BABY seal, they look the same in murky water."
That has got to be the funniest thing I've read in a while.
Safe to say that's one tough seal.

FreeFloat:
FYI it should be "skin graft".....

yeah, that.. thanks.. He got moved from ICU to a regular room so I think all is going ok. He's going to be on the TODAY show tomorrow. LOL.

Sigh. I bet he did it just to get on TV.

SEALs these days.. geez.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom