My Dad attacked by shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtiffee

Contributor
Reaction score
Just found out today that my dad was attacked by a shark.. nothing too bad, but he did have to get someone elses skin to cover the wound and they're not sure if it's going to take or not.. skin graph?

He wasn't diving, he was swimming in Big Bayou in St. Pete florida. It was getting dark and the water is murkey so vis was poor for the shark.. My dad was swimming from shore to a boat that was moored maybe 75 yards offshore. The depth was 5-10 feet max. luckly he was swimming on his back and the shark didn't take too much out of him. He's in ICU, but in good condition. I didn't ask him, but I doubt he could identify the size or species. The people on the boat he was swimming to saw the commotion and towed my dad back to shore via their dinghy.

We've already talked about doing a shark dive sometime later this year.

I'm sorry about your Dad, there's really not much else I can say.

It would be real good to go ahead with the Shark Dive if your father is able. I hope the Graph goes well for him.

My Mom and Dad's first date was JAWS.. at midnight, after watching the movie, he just had to take a dip in the ocean, so they drove to the beach and my dad went swimming. He's currently a Navy SEAL and responsible for me getting into diving.. being the tough guy he is, he says it's just a scratch and all he did was "have a run-in with a critter".

I am glad your dad survived the attack, I hope the skin grafts take OK with little scaring.

Being a Navy Seal, I'll bet he is as tough as nails... He'll be back to normal in no time.

Let us know the details when you can. Give your dad our best and tell him to quit looking like a seal.

Gary D.

Sorry to hear about that. Should make a great bar story though... "One time, when scuba diving in Big Bayou, I had to wrestle with a shark.. he got a bite out of me, but I made sure he'll never forget it!"

Didn't see anything on the news about it and they live for that kind of stuff. Hope he turns out alright.

Glad your dad wasn't more seriously injured.
----------
The lesson here is... :
The most likely time and place for a shark bite is dawn or dusk, swimming or wading in murky water close to shore. That is the Bull shark's time and place for feeding; when they bump into something alive they have a tendency to take a bite to see if they want to eat the rest. Luckily for humans we must not taste very good, 'cause almost all "attacks" are a "taste & spit" event like this one.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom