My brother is an Index Award finalist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SelkieDVM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just heard that my brother is a finalist for the 2009 Index Award, an international design award with a prize of 500k euros. He's a hydrodynamics engineer at Duke as well as an avid diver. The link goes to a little blurb involving his work designing wind turbine blades based on whale fins. Needless to say I'm very proud of him. But I had to hear the news from mom, because he never tells anybody anything. Posting here is my way of getting back at hime.:wink:

Way to go, bro!:D

INDEX: DESIGN TO IMPROVE LIFE

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why the link included the smilie, but it works anyway.

:thumb:

Cool. you can fix that link, but too much trouble probly.

.vbulletin interprets :D as a smilie. putting a space between : and D fixed it.

Thank you!

"Of course!" is my reaction to the design. I see potential here for subsonic airfoils (airliner wings) as well.
Cool!
BZ to your brother.
Rick

I saw that the design team included Dr. Frank E. Fish. Considering the fact that the embedded design is based on a whale tail, why could they not include Dr. Richard Moby on this project?
If word of this semi-outrage gets out in Cetacea, there's going to be a lot of whales who are going to feel they got fluked yet again.
So the prize is 500,000 € - after the EU gets done taking taxes out, the winners get a t-shirt saying "I won the Index Award and all I got after taxes was this lousy t-shirt" plus a bill for the t-shirt.

:rofl3:

Well, he didn't win anyway. All he got was a tuxedo and a trip to Copenhagen, not sure about the t-shirt. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom