My BCD inflator stuck open today!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chocoholic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well I feel like a complete idiot. I just had my regulator in for it's yearly check-up but haven't had my BCD done for awhile. I was just on the surface and my inflator valve stuck open and totally filled the BCD til I disconnected the inflator hose quickly. It's a near miss because it didn't happen at depth, damn lucky for me. I had the BCD serviced and it wasn't sand or any debris it was just an old torn 'O' ring that should've been replaced a couple years ago. Now my BCD will be going in for service annually along with my regulator and will be handled more gently. :shakehead::shakehead:

You can get a new power inflator for $15. I just replace them every once in a while instead of messing around with refurbishing them.

I would certainly second getting annual service for your dive kit. As an aside, most of the BC's in use today will vent as fast or faster than they can inflate with a stuck valve. You might just give this a try in the pool to see for yourself. Just descend to the bottom and hold both the inflate and the dump open at the same time. You'll not go anywhere. Also remember you have an alternate dump on your BC that you could bring to bear on the issue if need be. Good job disconnecting the inflator hose!

If you are familiar with the equipment, like Jim, you can do an easy service job on a bcd, which includes a few things more than o-rings. There is a stem valve that can get bent or misaligned over time and cause malfunction. But if you lack the parts and tools, its worth a service job annually. Glad all ended well.
DivemasterDennis

well done and good call.........stay safe.

The fairly standard inflators that are used on a lot of wings are pretty easy to service. I wouldn't want to tackle some of the inflators I've seen on other BCs. And I suspect those inflators are far more expensive than the simple Trident ones. I usually give my inflators a service or two, and then you accumulate enough small scratches on the brass that it's just better to replace the entire unit.

I would certainly second getting annual service for your dive kit. As an aside, most of the BC's in use today will vent as fast or faster than they can inflate with a stuck valve. You might just give this a try in the pool to see for yourself. Just descend to the bottom and hold both the inflate and the dump open at the same time. You'll not go anywhere. Also remember you have an alternate dump on your BC that you could bring to bear on the issue if need be. Good job disconnecting the inflator hose!

True, but you'll be burning though the air which may or may not give you another problem to deal with.

Annual service is unnecessary for most divers who take good care of their gear. Annual, or more frequent, inspections will prevent little problems from becoming big ones. But if you don't give your gear good care, even annual service is probably not frequent enough. The biggest justification for annual service is to keep a line of cash flow at the LDS.

BTW, that warm feeling you get may just mean you pissed away more than money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom