Inflation valve drysuit presses against sternum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calatinus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all

Just a quick question; I have a Waterproof D7X Nylotech, and had a few dives without undergarment (but with baselayer), and noticed the inflator valve presses really firmly against my sternum, and really hurts. It's as if it's stuck against it in a vacuum. The inflator hose itself os not restricted, nor are my BCD shoulder straps.

Anyone been experiencing this? Any tips?

Thanks

C

3 things come to mind
1. Suit doesn’t fit well and is to small, but it’s unlikely since you can get it on.
2. Not enough air in the suit, underweighted, creating a vacuume.
3. To much air In the suit, overweighted, causing a big bubble to form which lifts the back of the suit away and pulls on the front.

just guessing based on what you wrote.

Your suit does not fit you well. Even when there is suit squeeze, you should not notice the valve. The valve must have a cover on the inside that prevents you from feeling super cold air as it rushes into the suit and expands. If you have that cover _and_ feel the valve, you need more space in your suit. I like tight fits in dry suits and have one that is a size too small and even in that suit I can't feel the valve.

Hi all

Just a quick question; I have a Waterproof D7X Nylotech, and had a few dives without undergarment (but with baselayer), and noticed the inflator valve presses really firmly against my sternum, and really hurts. It's as if it's stuck against it in a vacuum. The inflator hose itself os not restricted, nor are my BCD shoulder straps.

Anyone been experiencing this? Any tips?

Thanks

C
If you are not wearing any sort of padding, it might uncomfortable. If you do this a lot, I might put some velcro sticky pads on the inside of the inflator assembly. (don't block the inlet holes) Then put the other half of the velcro stickies on a thick piece of padding like 1/4" felt. Don't use the padding when you wear an undergarment.

You shouldn't dive a suit without something under it, even in warm water a minimum of a base layer should be warm.

If you are not wearing any sort of padding, it might uncomfortable. If you do this a lot, I might put some velcro sticky pads on the inside of the inflator assembly. (don't block the inlet holes) Then put the other half of the velcro stickies on a thick piece of padding like 1/4" felt. Don't use the padding when you wear an undergarment.
^^^ extremely bad advice.

3 things come to mind
1. Suit doesn’t fit well and is to small, but it’s unlikely since you can get it on.
2. Not enough air in the suit, underweighted, creating a vacuume.
3. To much air In the suit, overweighted, causing a big bubble to form which lifts the back of the suit away and pulls on the front.

just guessing based on what you wrote.

^^^ I second this. I ran into this with one that didn't fit right. Got it modified and no more issues.

Had same problem. My BC sternum strap was too close to the inflator.

Is there a neoprene flap that covers the back of the valve? That's usually sufficient for most folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom