MX10 & YS40A question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manogr

Reaction score
Hello all...

I received my new MX10 camera with the YS40A and after searching the site I have one question.

In the manual and sticker on the YS40 strobe it is mentioned that when you have it in Auto mode (that I think I will use at least at the beginning) you should set your f setting to 4.5 for 100 film.
First of all this 4.5 is the one with the thunderbolt (that will also use the built-in flash) or the other one that will not use the built-in flash but only the YS40 ? I need the built-in flash?

Also I should always have the 4.5/f with the Auto mode or I should change it depending on conditions although the strobe will be in Auto ?

I know that I should find a book but my trip to the red sea is really close and I don't have time to receive it, so I need some help with the f-settings and their combination with the YS40A strobe.

Thanks all....

Manogr

Originally posted by Manogr
Hello all...

I received my new MX10 camera with the YS40A and after searching the site I have one question.

In the manual and sticker on the YS40 strobe it is mentioned that when you have it in Auto mode (that I think I will use at least at the beginning) you should set your f setting to 4.5 for 100 film.
First of all this 4.5 is the one with the thunderbolt (that will also use the built-in flash) or the other one that will not use the built-in flash but only the YS40 ? I need the built-in flash?

You never use the thunderbolt setting with your strobe. It turns on the internal flash and you'll just get excessive backscatter.

Also I should always have the 4.5/f with the Auto mode or I should change it depending on conditions although the strobe will be in Auto ?

Change it according to the conditions. I sent you a PM with the basic settings I used. The auto setting on the strobe will take care of the strobe power.

I know that I should find a book but my trip to the red sea is really close and I don't have time to receive it, so I need some help with the f-settings and their combination with the YS40A strobe.

Thanks all....Manogr

Check out this webite...http://www.daveread.com/uw-photo/. Especially the section on Composition 101. Composition can make or break your pictures!

good luck and don't forget to show us your results!

As you know, if you look at the aperture knob on your MX-10, you'll notice that there are 2 settings (f/4.5 and f/11) outlined in orange, with a little lightning bolt symbol. These 2 settings are the only ones which turn on the internal flash. As Dee said, NEVER use these underwater! Using the others, which are white text on the gray knob, will not fire the internal strobe.

As for the YS-40, the camera has no way (or reason) to know whether the YS-40 is there or not. It just sends out the triggering pulse no matter what. There is no communication from the YS-40 back to the camera. With the strobe in the "on" position, exposure is accomplished manually - by using the correct aperture for the distance and film being used. The YS-40's "auto" position uses the strobe's meter to read the reflected light and shut off the strobe when it determines correct exposure. However, since there's no coupling going on between camera and strobe, it must assume that the camera's aperture is set at one particular f-stop. In fact, it comes with a sticker giving the aperture to be used for ASA 100 and 400 film. So, the "auto" setting is auto-exposure, but only if the camera is set at that one single aperture. This is somewhat limiting, and I’ve had excellent results using manual mode.

You should indeed experiment with it in manual mode ("ON" instead of "AUTO") and vary the aperture to match subject distance. The formula is (for ASA 100 film): f-stop = guide
number of strobe / distance in feet. The YS-40A has a guide number of about 16 underwater, so you can go from there. The key is practice, practice, practice, and recording what you do. If you can master pure old manual photography, you've got it made. Since there aren't too many variables with the MX-10, it's not too intimidating to do so. Also, when you find a good
subject, take several shots, bracketing up and down an f-stop each way. Again, practice and shoot lots of film.

I've always shot ASA 100 film in an MX-10 or Motormarine. While the YS-40 is indeed not super-powerful, as long as you stay within reasonable distances it does great. In fact, a photograph I took at night with an MX-10, 20mm lens, MXTENDER prototype, and using Fujichrome 100 film was just added as part of a permanent Flower Gardens exhibit at the Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans. It was exposed very well, using just the YS-40. (I'll add it to my gallery as soon as I get the slide back from them.)

I hope this helped you with your questions. In addition, here are a few general tips on photography:

Don't worry about ditching, adding, or changing gear. Most of what makes a good (or bad) photograph is the person behind the camera, not the equipment used. Too many people get caught up in the gadgets, and forget about capturing the moment itself.

The keys are reading, learning, and practicing. General photography books are priceless, for above or below water photography. In addition, there is a vast amount of information available on the Internet. Just one example is http://www.utahdiving.com/photos/pic-clas.htm. It's a complete mini photo lesson, and talks about the MX-10, Motormarine, and Nikonos V.

Read, listen to the advice of those who know, shoot a lot of film, and always record what you do. Shoot upward; don't take pictures down at "stuff on the sand" like most people do. Also, take pictures vertically ("long-ways") - most people don't. Look at GOOD photographers' work, and see what they did and how they did it. Learn the principles of composition, and use them to frame a picture which will attract someone's eye. Look for the unusual, the colorful, the majestic, the beautiful. Get CLOSE to your subject. Get CLOSE to your subject. Get CLOSE to your subject. Bracket, bracket, bracket.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Greg Bunch
gbunch@gbundersea.com
http://www.gbundersea.com

Thanks Greg. It's been a couple of years since I used the MX-10 regularly and I forgot about the manual "ON" setting and it's versatility.

Thank you both Dee and gbundersea. Great info there !!

I think that I should practice a lot...both in the auto and the on settings...I will let you know about my progress and share some pics here when I come back from the red sea !

Of course now, before I even use my MX10 once (tomorrow is my first dive after my purchase) I feel anxious about the aperture I should use when in ON mode (since in the Auto I will use only one aperture).

DEE from the above I understand that I should use the ON mode with the guidelines for the f-stop that you send me, is that correct ? Also notice that I send you a PM mentioning that in the seaandsea site the MX10 is mentioned as having a shutter speed of 1/100 and not 1/60 that your guidlines mention, should I change anything in the aperture settings that you send me ? I really liked your guideline and want to use it !!

Thanks again...You guys are fantastic and this board is paradise :)

Manogr

Yes...the settings I sent you are for the strobe set to ON and with the non-changeable 1/100 shutter speed. Check you PMs.

You'll be just fine! While the camera settings are important, don't forget about the composition and get close. with the built-in 35mm lens, 3ft is your optimum distance for both focus distance and strobe.

Here's one of my favorite pictures ever taken with my MX-10 and a 20mm wide angle lens....Cozumel on Palancar Gardens reef.

aaj.sized.jpg

Thanks again for your help...

I did my first dive with my MX10 on saturday and I finished a 36 film. Of course I tried many many things and I did not expected for my photographs to be nice.

I am surprised and really happy for 5 photos of Moray Eels (one big and one small). They are clear, with nice colors on the surounding corals. They only problem is that the Eels are really small - clear but small. I guess that I need a close up lens for them to appear bigger.

One more question...the 3 feets will always be my optimum focus distance or this depends on the lens ?? I mean that I should always be 3 feets away from my subjects no matter the lens ? and what about the background ? It will be fuzzy always (when I have a fish for example at 3 feets and then water or something else) ?

Generally, what the other lenses are doing is that they open or close your field without changing the focus distance (3 feets) or they change the focus distance also ??

Thanks...

Manogr

Manogr once bubbled...
Thanks again for your help...

I did my first dive with my MX10 on saturday and I finished a 36 film. Of course I tried many many things and I did not expected for my photographs to be nice.

I am surprised and really happy for 5 photos of Moray Eels (one big and one small). They are clear, with nice colors on the surounding corals. They only problem is that the Eels are really small - clear but small. I guess that I need a close up lens for them to appear bigger.

Congrats! Yes, a close-up kens will help. Your focusing distance is right at 18".

One more question...the 3 feets will always be my optimum focus distance or this depends on the lens ?? I mean that I should always be 3 feets away from my subjects no matter the lens ? and what about the background ? It will be fuzzy always (when I have a fish for example at 3 feets and then water or something else) ?

No, focusing distance depends on your lens and your aperature (f/stop). With fixed-focus lenses, the focus is permanently set at one distance, so you are dependent on depth of field for a particular F/stop. Remember that depth of field is your zone of sharpness. Any object outside that range will be out of focus. Once you know the proper aperature to use, according to the light available, you'll know how close you can get. For example with the built-in lens...

F/4.5 = 3 - 5.5ft
F/5.6 = 2.9 - 5.9ft.
F/8 = 2.6 - 7.9ft.
F/11 = 2.3 - 13.0ft.
F/16 - 2.0ft. - infinity
F/22 = 1.6ft - infinity
Limburdi's Guide to Sea & Sea, pg. 35

Generally, what the other lenses are doing is that they open or close your field without changing the focus distance (3 feets) or they change the focus distance also ??

All S&S lenses are fixed focus lenses and are permanently set to a specific distance. This will change from lens to lens. One of the most versatile lenses I've ever used is the 20mm wide angle. It's focus range is 1.3 ft to infinity. That means I can take close up shots of anemones and arrow crabs and the next shot can be a wide angle reef shot by only changing the aperature.

Thanks dee...interesting info....

I need that book for sure ! and I will get it as soon as I am back.

Thanks for everything...I will post the best images here...

Manogr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom