MWDC presents Mike DeCamp and Gary Gentile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickm401

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
August 14th speakers (7 PM start): Mike DeCamp will present on History of Northeast Wreck Diving. Mike, a true diving legend and pioneer is often affectionately referred to as the "Father of East Coast Diving." His resume begins with his first dive in 1956 and from there he went on to be the first person to dive practically every wreck along the US east coast. A partial list of "first person to dive" wrecks for Mike include the USS San Diego, Orgon, Stolt Dagali, Pinta, Arocca, Arunda, and the Texas Tower to name a few. Additionally, Mike was the first sport diver to dive on the Andrea Doria, worked on the 1965 film "In the World of Sharks," co-invented the pony bottle and invented the decompression line for when you can't find the elusive anchor line.

Gary Gentile will present slides on "Northern Shipwreck Marine Life" Artificial reef ecology is demonstrated from the world of the small, using macrophotography, to the life cycles of the large, including whales, sharks, sunfish, and a variety of game fish. The waters of New Jersey northward, and the many wrecks that about there, offer more marine life than most divers know about. Lobsters, that most delectable of wreck inhabitants, are covered in detail. Gary has written 44 books, published over 3,000 photographs, discovered more than 40 shipwrecks, and led a life of adventure. He has specialized in wreck-diving and shipwreck research, concentrating his efforts on wrecks along the eastern seaboard, from Newfoundland to Key West, and in the Great Lakes.

For the club raffle, there will be several prizes including books from Gary, $50 gift certificates from local dive shops, DVD's, wine and other dive related products.

To help support the speaker costs we will have an admission fee of $5 for non members.

Attachments

• Decamp.jpg
    Decamp.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 44
  • gentile.jpg
    gentile.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 38
is the presentation starting at 7pm or much later like a couple weeks ago.

I came to see Heather's presentation which didn't start until 90 minutes later and I had to leave by then.

Can club matters (voting) be handled post-presentation ? This makes it excrutiating for new members and dettering for would be members.

The hotel may change the room at the last minute. If you are planning to attend, just check the monitor as soon as you enter the hotel for where the meeting room will be. I've actually walked into someone else's meeting that was in progress because the room had been changed.

wreckedinri:
Rick,

Are tickets available at the door, or should they be purchased in advanced? Also, will the show be in the same room that MWDC typically uses to hold their meetings?

Thanks,
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Yes, the only way to get tickets is at the door. As previously mentioned, check the monitor as you walk in for the MWDC room location, but it should be the one just to the right as you walk into the entrance.

If I know what room it is beforehand, I'll post the information to this thread.

Rick

edasque:
is the presentation starting at 7pm or much later like a couple weeks ago.

I came to see Heather's presentation which didn't start until 90 minutes later and I had to leave by then.

Can club matters (voting) be handled post-presentation ? This makes it excrutiating for new members and dettering for would be members.

Edasque,

I appreciate your comments and will forward them to all the MWDC board members. Thank you for your feedback.

We expect Mike DeCamp's presentation to start somewhere between 7:05 and 7:15. Club business will be kept to a minimum.

Rick

Rickm401:
Hi Dennis,

Yes, the only way to get tickets is at the door. As previously mentioned, check the monitor as you walk in for the MWDC room location, but it should be the one just to the right as you walk into the entrance.

If I know what room it is beforehand, I'll post the information to this thread.

Rick

Thanks Rick,

I should see you there. Can you drag Tony to this thing?

And to those that have never been to a MWDC "event"; they do a nice job of putting on a show. It's always worth checking them out.

D

Dennis,

I'm hoping Tony will show, but no guarantees. He's been golfing a lot this summer.

Looking forward to catching up with you and hope to see Harry there as well.

Rick

Rickm401:
Dennis,

. . . Looking forward to catching up with you and hope to see Harry there as well.

Rick

Same here! Hopefully we'll have some new stories to share. I'll be with Harry, Gary, and Marcie B. next week on MV. We are staging there and heading out to a little wreck about 65 miles south of the island.:wink: I don't want to jinx the trip by even saying the name of the wreck as I've been blown out twice before!

See you in a couple of weeks, and tell Tony that I said "Hi"!

Dennis

Have a great trip out there Dennis. I hope you guys have great weather.

Back
Top Bottom