MV Empress wrecked...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got an email that the good ship MV Empress lost it's mooring off of Lombok and was wrecked against some rocks in heavy seas. Vidar and crew are all safe. Not sure whether the Empress is salvagable/ repairable at this point... Having just been on the Empress earlier this year, sad to hear of this news but glad to hear the good capt. Vidar is OK.

Good to hear there were no casualties Dear Leader. Was there any environmental damage?

Nice rockets the other day BTW. :wink:

Diver Dennis:
Nice rockets the other day BTW. :wink:

they prematurely exploded as usual...

Oiy! stop hijacking threads outside of the PPD!:D

a bunch of rebreathers from my local club were booked to go on the Empress this Sept. oh well... Hopefully Vidar will get the Empress back afloat... maybe in time for a HMS Hermes trip next yr... :wink:

Vidar made good money with his salvaging exploits (expecially brass metals), but I always had a feeling that it was "bad mojo" to adorn your vessel with artifacts from sunken ships (especially from tragic Wrecks like POW and Repulse where a lot of men died). Glad to hear that everyone is okay and accounted for.
(Hope he had time to at least save all his Valuables & Electronics) . . .

**MOD NOTE***
Please keep the personal attacks and accusations off the board.
This thead has been cleaned up and removed said attacks and accusations.

I am happy to report that the Empress has been saved!!

Apparently an extra large swell actually picked her up and dumped her in slightly deeper water behind the reef, where they managed to anchor, still being bounced around coral heads. Bent rudders and props, huge dents etc, but NO leakage. Lots of water damage though.

Great news

DrMike:
I am happy to report that the Empress has been saved!!

Apparently an extra large swell actually picked her up and dumped her in slightly deeper water behind the reef, where they managed to anchor, still being bounced around coral heads. Bent rudders and props, huge dents etc, but NO leakage. Lots of water damage though.

Great news

That is great news. Good to hear.

Back
Top Bottom