Must see's near Miami and the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Tug is a few miles further south and sits deeper. Perhaps you are thinking of the Delray Wreck, just east of Linton Blvd. It's not a bad beach dive, but not much on it right now. The spanish mackeral run never really materialized south of the Palm Beach inlet this winter. Bait is currently scarce too. The local bait fisherman are going down to Port Everglades and Miami for threadfins. Look for bait on to show up on the beach in May.

You can get the numbers from the Dixie Diver website. They provide GPS numbers for numerous wrecks and reefs.
Here's the link, just click on the dive sites to access.

Dixie Divers

No, it is the Ghost tug I am talking about..but I have only been to it on my own boat, and never used the shore as a reference, only the GPS. I would not send anyone to the Delray wreck, as there is not enough to it for me to consider it a valid dive site. It gets used because it is easy, and expedient...the ghost tug is much better for snorkelers.

I have been down to Key Largo diving twice now (about 20 dives). I have done the shallow reefs because that is what I like. The Benwood is a bit deeper but only a bit. It is a well encrused reef with bunches of schooling fish. The other sites out there have some really nice hard corals.

I have never bothered with any of the deep wrecks like the Spiegel Grove or the Duane. Many people like deep wrecks but I usually do not like such things with some exceptions.

If you go to Key Largo, that will pretty much shoot your whole trip.

If you like piles of small critters and some bigger ones too, the Blue Heron Bridge is a tremendous dive. It is up in West Palm. The BHB has its own section on these boards. I just did it this last weekend and it is one of the best dives I have ever done. But I like that sort of thing.

The BHB is pretty close to Jupiter. Jupiter runs deeper (80' or so) and has bigger fish, if that is your sort of thing.

Pompano Beach is good also. I like the Sea Emperor wreck. It is a barge in 105' (at the sand). There is a pile of assorted sizes of concrete culverts next to the wreck. The culverts are a hang out for a huge green moray and some goliath groupers.

You have an embarrassment of riches and the choice is hard which is a good thing.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom