Must see's near Miami and the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cosmographer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We rarely get out to Florida, but we have an opportunity at the end of this month to spend 3 days in the Miami area. Since we have such a short time there, I was wondering if there were any must-dive sites nearby. I've heard a few people in this forum mention Boynton Beach which seems to be in the opposite direction of the Keys (from Miami) - is it worth the drive? Any other sites that are highly recommended? We are AOW and OW certified so the Vandenberg is probably too deep, but we do like wrecks as well. Also, how is the weather around that time? It's not hurricane season is it?

Thanks for any recommendations!

I would suggest key largo, elbow reef. There is a couple charters that'll bring you there. It's only 30 feet, but it's beautiful! A couple old wooden wrecks on it, but no real structure to swim thru. You'll see some huge Goliath grouper. One we saw was over 6' long.

Another vote for Elbow reef. There are resident groupers, nurse sharks and a huge barracuda. Viz is usually best in the Keys on this area as is the furthest barrier reef offshore and gets swept by deeper currents than other sites.

You also have the option of the Spiegel Grove. Similar size to the Vandeberg but its been down much longer and has full coral growth on it. Its 65' to the top of the wreck, 100' to the main deck. Perfectly doable for an OW diver with a guide and a bit of experience under their belt.

Another vote for taking the drive to Key Largo.

It is a relaxed atmosphere, easy driving, and a diver's world. Oh, and pretty good eats.

You will feel at home there. And probably think about planning your NEXT trip there.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked into Key Largo, and it does look quite promising. Since we have 3 days, would you guys recommend spending them all at Key Largo or trying other locations in the region? Also any particularly well recommended dive operations in Key Largo (there seem to be so many to choose from).

We rarely get out to Florida, but we have an opportunity at the end of this month to spend 3 days in the Miami area. Since we have such a short time there, I was wondering if there were any must-dive sites nearby. I've heard a few people in this forum mention Boynton Beach which seems to be in the opposite direction of the Keys (from Miami) - is it worth the drive? Any other sites that are highly recommended? We are AOW and OW certified so the Vandenberg is probably too deep, but we do like wrecks as well. Also, how is the weather around that time? It's not hurricane season is it?

Thanks for any recommendations!

I'm saying go the other way, and go north to Boynton Beach. You won't be disappointed. The reef is amazing. If you want to see beautiful reefs teeming with sea life... it's the place to go.

I agree with Howard. In Boynton my top 3 would be : the wreck of the Castor, see DelRay Ledge, see Pauls Reef.

If you went to Palm Beach Inlet ( central Palm Beach) : Wreck of the Mispah, Pauls Reef , Breakers Reef, Juno Ledge
Jupiter( north Palm Beach): Juno Ledge, Wrecks of the Zion and Bonaire, Hole in the Wall.

Wrecks in Palm Beach have so much life on them, they eclipse wrecks in other areas. The reefs have more fish, more large fish, more huge fish, more real sharks...(--blacktip, bulls, hammers, etc..nurse sharks are plentiful, but who cares? ), more intrusion by pelagic fish on the deeper reefs..it is a BIG ECOSYSTEM.

True that there are more big fish further north, however, the volume of fish is much higher in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. There are also sites with more high profile coral whereas I find some of the beaches up thd east coast a big flatter. It's also a lot of drift diving, do each to their own.many like the keys vibe. It's a lot more like the islands, whereas north of Miami often feels like diving out of a city to me. Pompano being the worst:(

If you like spearing and lobstering, go north. If you don't, go South to the keys

If you should go to Key Largo, the wreck of the Benwood is a great shallow wreck dive loaded with fish. My favorite dive in the area. If you should come up our direction--north--make a shore dive at Blue Heron Bridge--it's waay shallow and we regularly make 2 hour dives there. Must be done around the changing high tide. Google it for lots of info. There are many dive shops in the immediate area, closest being Force E on Blue Heron Blvd. and Pura Vida on Singer Island. Force E has a map of the site and tide tables.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom