Must see sites in Akumal / mainland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdshort

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got my leave request at work approved, so I'll be in Coz from the 28th Dec - 4th of January, then Akumal from the 4th - 10th. What are the must see dive sites I should make sure I hit while in Akumal? I definitely want to hit some of the cenotes, but I'd also be interested in the ocean dives in the area too, even though I hear it will be disappointing after diving in Cozumel.

So toss out the suggestions!

I don't know about the open ocean diving, but for cenotes, see if you can find a tour guide who will do Dos Ojos and Grand Cenote. Those were my favorites, although Taj Maha is pretty amazing, too.

I have to agree with Lynne.

Grand Cenote is a ways South (West of Tulum), so is less often visited by cenote tours out of Cancun, but is the prettiest Cavern (IMHO). It is part of the Sac Aktun cave system (white cave), so the walls are white and are highly decorated.

Dos Ojos is a bit closer to Akumal, and is quite a bit busier, but offers one of the best and longest Cavern Dives in the region. Heading back to entry on the back side of the cavern zone will definitely give you a taste of what an underwater cave dive is like. :D

The ocean diving in Akumal is OK, but pales in comparison to Cozumel. Every recreational diver that I have ever taken to Akumal has done one day of ocean diving (even though several were planned) and then wanted to head back into the cenotes. They are stunningly beautiful.

Have a great trip.

Ok, I have Grand Cenote and Dos Ojos on my list! Thanks :) I hear Akumal is good for snorkeling though, good for the rest of the family!

I did some "snorkeling" in Puerto Aventuras (put in quotation marks, because I didn't have a snorkel; what I did was surface swim with a mask and fins and do a lot of breath-holding :) ). Even in the very shallow bay (max depth MAYBE 6 feet?) there was quite a lot to look at, if one went slowly and was really interested in the small animals inhabiting the coral. I had fun; I would do it again, but next trip, I'm bringing a snorkel . . .

I've been in Akumal every Dec for about 6yrs now. Ocean conditions can be a bit on the rough side that time of year, especially out of Half Moon Bay (where I stay).

The big attraction for snorkelers here is the resident turtle population in Akumal Bay ( much calmer and more sheltered then Half Moon), and also the bait balls and baracudda. Yal Ku lagoon is the other must do for snorkelers. If you want to snorkel either Akumal Bay or Yal Ku, plan on going EARLY. By 11am you will be packed in with snorkel tours. Half Moon never gets very busy at all, but I wouldn't take anyone to snorkel there unless they are good swimmers, wear snorkel vests and are pretty compitent snorkelers. There's more coral and different stuff to see there, but in some sections of the bay you can get weird current and the occassional rip current closer to the cut.

Akumal itself is what I would describe as laid back luxury. Except for 2 bigger properties - the Akumal Beach Resort (All Inclusive) and the Hotel Akumal Caribe - it's all villas and condo buildings. There are about 8 restaurants, two of which also have beach bars.

In the "town" are by Akumal Bay there's Cueva del Pescador, a pretty good seafood restaurant. Turtle Bay Bakery Cafe, great breakfasts and also good lunch and dinner. The Loncheria, an affordable lunch counter sort of place that's popular with local workers. Imelda's, which has a great Mayan buffet once a week ($20pp). Right on the beach is Lol Ha restaurant and their beach bar.

On Half Moon Bay is La Buena Vida, a restaurant and beach bar. Also La Lunita further north on the bay, a nice restaurant.

By Yal Ku there's Que Onda, a nice garden setting at a small hotel. It's homemade Italian food.

In the last couple years prices in Akumal have gone way up. Don't expect any of the restaurant prices you find in Cozumel. Plan on spending what you would at home, or in some cases a bit more. Value is ok, but you're really paying for the location so just enjoy it for what it is.

What all the other posts said are on the mark. Spend as much time in the cenotes over the ocean dives as possible. On our last trip to Akumal, the prices in the restaurants had gone up to the point of being unreasonable. We ended up eating a lot at the lunch counter by the Super Chomax. The only place in town that was less that $20 a plate for dinner.

We love Akumal, the beaches are world class, the snorkeling in Akumal Bay can be very good, and there are some real bargains on condo rentals on Half Moon Bay. All that being said, on our subsequent trips, we will be spending our time in PDC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom