Must Read Book for All Divers, esp NOOBs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cruisin Home

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I think that all divers should read Jacques Cousteau's book "the silent world" . One can really learn about the sport thru the early pioneering (tru for anything). Fantastic book. You will be amazed that he did not die early in life. One of last centuries greatest engineer, scientist, explorer, teacher, etc.

The Silent World (book) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a first edition hard cover that I wouldnt trade for the world.

Why? i guess you're right, why read anything? History is not important. Learning about how someone engineered the first scuba regulator while in Nazi occupied France is a total bore.

It is the best account of divers pushing the limits of depth on Air you will ever read. Also if you are an engineer like myself it is always good to understand the history of an invention as it helps to describe the lessons learned thru mistakes. Mistakes are often repeated by engineers that fail to study the mistakes that have happened before them, essentially giving truth to the statement that "History repeats itself".

I know the book sounds old to you but it is still frosty even after all these years. Also if you ever experience someone dying on a deep dangerous dive this book will put in words those same feelings.

Why? i guess you're right, why read anything?

[sarcasm font]Yah, that's exactly what I was suggesting.[/sarcasm font]

Again, I second the recommendation; it's a great read, even for non-divers. The statement I quoted just struck me as odd, that's all.

I think that all divers should read Jacques Cousteau's book "the silent world" . One can really learn about the sport thru the early pioneering (tru for anything). Fantastic book. You will be amazed that he did not die early in life. One of last centuries greatest engineer, scientist, explorer, teacher, etc.

The Silent World (book) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a first edition hard cover that I wouldnt trade for the world.

There is a paperback version also? I looked it up on Amazon and it was published in 1973. Correct?

Amazon.com: The Silent World (9780345235701): Jacques; Dumas…

Sorry I didnt pick up on the sarcasm on the first response.

Why? I think it is very important to learn the history of an industry/sport/etc is as I said to learn the mistakes and successes that brought us to what we presently have. Maybe it is only interesting if you are an engineer as I am, but I think even new divers just going thru cert would be amazed at what these brave men had to go thru to learn the limits of our sport. Limits that are still in place today. Now sure, technology has evolved and their are rebreathers and exotic blends, and two stage regulators, and computers: but not very much more.

what an exciting and scary time, and all wonderfully documented by a great orator!

It was not 1973, I think it was 1950's.

Sorry I didnt pick up on the sarcasm on the first response.

FWIW, I wasn't being sarcastic with the "why?"

The miscommunication is that I was somehow suggesting that people should not read history, etc., which wasn't at all what I was trying to say. I was just curious about that one (quoted) part of your post.

I guess I just don't agree that one must know what JC and company did in order to learn about diving today (or for example that one must study Karl Benz in order to learn about driving a modern car). Is it interesting? Absolutely (to you and to me, anyway).

Back
Top Bottom