Must-Do Ft. Lauderdale Dive Sites/Ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BIGG_BUDD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey Amigos,

I'll be in your great state from 8/19 through 8/26, staying in Del Ray, and would love some assistance from you locla experts.

We'll most definitely do some shore dives, but what I'm most interested in are wrecks. Are there any "must-do" sites? Anything with historical significance is preferred.

Also, any recommendations on dive ops are appreciated. There are so many...I'm a little overwhelmed...

Thanks, from Texas.

Hydro atlantic.. :D

Just kidding.

I actually enjoy the shallow dives here in s. florida, you don't need a dive light to see all the colors.. (but take it with you anyway)

I enjoyed the Sea Emperor for its life and the rays - max depth 70'

I enjoyed the castor, can't really say why though, maybe because I was narc'ed.

Also the Guy Harvey was a nice dive.

Yes, the Sea Emperor has a resident green eel quite friendly =) tons of stingrays and a Goliath Grouper that's very impressive.

I also recommend the United Caribbean and the Noula Express all near the Sea Emperor.

I usually dive with Dixie Divers but there are plenty of dive boats around.

Wys.

When you check out the Dixie Divers web site take a look on the left side of the page and you'll a link for dive sites. You'll find a great list of all the wrecks in the area with some pictures and drawings as well. This should give you a good idea of what to dive, then all you need to do find out what the shop has scheduled for that weekend.

Back in April we did the Sea Emporer, United Caribbean, and the Rodeo 25. Each different, all fun. We used South Florida Dive HQ in Pompano Beach.

Great stuff amigos! Thanks for the assistance.

check out www.fillexpress.com and click on dive boats, reefs and wrecks, and dive shops. You'll get lots of good info there, plus they're excellent for gear rental and very inexpensive nitrox fills.

One wreck you'll definitely enjoy (quite frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned thus far), is the Ancient Mariner. It's an old 165 ft USCG cutter that lies in about 70 fsw, and it's an easy penetration dive from the stern to the bow. Loads of fish and light or non-existent currents; an awsome dive!!!

BTW, an alternative shore dive to LBTS is SE 12th St., Pompano Beach. Check out this thread; http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=2110309#post2110309

BIGG_BUDD:
Hey Amigos,

I'll be in your great state from 8/19 through 8/26, staying in Del Ray, and would love some assistance from you locla experts.

We'll most definitely do some shore dives, but what I'm most interested in are wrecks. Are there any "must-do" sites? Anything with historical significance is preferred.

Also, any recommendations on dive ops are appreciated. There are so many...I'm a little overwhelmed...

Thanks, from Texas.
Right on with all mentioned sites. I highly recommend Parrot Island Scuba as an op.
http://www.parrotislandscuba.com/
They do the Sea Emp regularly, as well as other reefs, wrecks, etc. The two Goliath's (Fred and Ethel) are worth the price of admission alone!

The Captain Dan is my favorite, but that may be because Ive never been to Rodeo 25. Tennico Towers is supposed to be outstanding. Nitrox fills at DiveRite Express are about $5.50. They are the best dive shop....... maybe in the entire history of the world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom