Must be the inflator, right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIdiverMike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got about 50 dives on a used (14 y/o) TLS 350. Initially had lots of problems exhausting air - fixed that by replacing exhaust valve. For the last half dozen dives or so, I have a new problem - I must exhaust air from the suit continously throughout the dive or I'll go feet up. This w/e I intentionally only hit the inflator valve once at about 15-20ft. Up to that point, I felt no air in the suit and a pretty fair squeeze. But after that one use of the inflator I had to constantly exhaust even though I never touched the inflator again. I went to about 50 ft on both dives and averaged about 35. I could feel the bubble in my feet and everytime I lift one of my arms, the sleeve billowed with air. I would exhaust and then sink a little bit, but within 30-60 seconds the air is back and I repeated the cycle.

This has to be a leaking inflator right? I hear no leaks and I see none either. I've cleaned the inflator with white vinegar and rinsed with warm water. I've also soaked the inflator hose in warm water. I also sprayed some WD-40 into the inflator valve little holes. None of these steps had any impact on the problem.

I'm assuming that replacing the inflator valve, which I believe is the orginal, is the logical next step. Do folks agree with that? See any other logical things to check or have any other suggestions?

Thx in advance. Drysuit diving has certainly been more difficult for me than I imagined. But I am persistent! Not a quick study by any means, but persistent.

In all likelihood, you'll have to replace the valve.
If you're feeling handy, I suppose you could take apart the valve and attempt to "overhaul" it.
FWIW, TSandM has successfully taken apart, cleaned, and replaced o-rings on her Si-tech inflater valves.

Before replacing anything, though, it would probably make sense to do a couple more tests.

Have you tried simply connecting a pressurized inflater hose to the inflater valve and then pressing the inflate button a few times?
If you put your ear next to the valve, you should be able to hear any lingering inappropriate inflation.

Does the inflater button feel "mushy" at all? That might suggest that there's some mechanical stickiness present.

If you can remove the valve from the suit, it might be helpful to use a latex glove to seal around the edges of the valve, hook it up to a pressurized inflater hose, and just tap the inflater valve once (hopefully, it wouldn't be enough to over-inflate the glove). The inflation status of the glove can be used as an indicator of any "leaky" inflation. [Disclaimer: I've never tried this, so not sure if it would actually work.]

If the inflater valve is the original one that came with the suit, then it might be time to replace it. Northeast Scuba Supply sells the Apeks variety for $90. The side-push version of the Si-tech inflater valve runs $65.

I'd say 15 years service is pretty good for an inflater valve. :idk:

I agree with bubbletrouble. The only other recommendation I will add is remove the valve from the suit, connect inflator hose and press the inflate button a few times. Then submerge it in a bucket of water to see if you can spot any bubbles coming from the inflator valve. If you see bubbles repair or replace as needed. No bubbles = no troubles.

It's the inlet valve right ?

Remove the valve, take it apart, clean and lube it.
Any kid can do it :)

My LDS had me hook up the bc and drysuit to a tank, presurize and then spray the back of the valve inside the suit to check for bubbles like a leak test. Well I did that and saw/heard no bubbles. Guess this means it's not the inflator afterall. Ok, but meantime both sleeves continuously fill with air and must be vented every 60 seconds or so - otherwise I'm floating up at a good clip. Anybody have any other ideas for what could be causing this? I did notice the problem seemed less obnoxious the other day when I took off one layer of UnderArmour -I can see how an extra undergarment might interfere with venting but I can't see how it would cause continual air build up. That's why I thought the problem must be the inflator. Whaddya think?

Hi Mike
Under water there are only two things that produce air in a dry suit.
1. You. And you alone simlpy can't produce that much air to vent that often.
2. Your tank. The only way into the suit is the input valve.

Your answer is stop eating beans.

Have fun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom