Music for personal use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone tried obtaining permission? When you really need that special copyrighted piece it would be useful knowing where to start.

Obviously I haven't so I have no idea where to start unless there is something on an album/cd cover that could direct you to some place like the producer/artist/recording company.

For what I do I don't know that I would take it that far. But if I were making a video for advertising purposes like promoting a dive shop, dive boat, or dive resort that would be a whole different story.

Maybe someone on here has done what you ask about and can enlighten us.

I had a dive video removed by facebook in November by facebook because I used the Dropkick Murphy's song Shipping up to Boston. I was told I could file a counter notice with reasons as to why it should be reinstated. This is what I said:

I filed a counter notice for the following reasons.

1. All of the pictures, titles, and video within the video were shot by me.

2. Fair use. The music used in the background (Dropkick murphy's- Shipping up to Boston) is used in fair use. This video is not intended to make money or detract from the sales of the Dropkick Murphy's. The video is for educational purposes in order to allow people to appreciate and understand the varied and interesting underwater environment at the two dive sites.

If for some reason this is incorrect please let me know.

...and it worked. Video back no problems. Not sure how on spot my legal arguements were but hey, it worked. Just my $.02

Interesting. None of these services have the resources to actually look at each case from a legal standpoint, they're just trying to A) follow DMCA guidelines so they don't get in legal trouble and B) keep us happy. I'm sure it's not easy.

I did notice that Youtube now has an audio stream swap, so you can change audio without uploading the video again, I would say that is directly a result of this whole thing.

Hey Gang!

Quite an interesting discussion going on here, so I thought I might add a slightly different perspective.

I am an independent musician with my own music label and I write songs/music that are intentionally aimed at scuba divers, parrotheads, Trop-Rock, whatever you want to call it. As such, I can honestly tell you that for myself it is quite flattering to have someone utilize your music in any kind of production. The ONLY requirement I would suggest is that you always give credit to the artist. Stick a little blurb on the screen at the end of your video giving credit to the artist and maybe even plug their website or something like that. At the very least, if you credit the artist's name somewhere in the production, people can google them if they like the music. This way, not only are you not stealing income from them, but you are actually helping promote their music. Now I realize that not every big artist is going to agree with me, but I would venture to guess that the majority of independents will.

Of course if it is a revenue generating project, then I would suggest contacting the artist to secure permission ahead of time, but even then only if it what I would consider a "permanent" type of product. In other words, if you are shooting video for a dive trip and selling 20-30 copies to the divers on that trip, yes that is revenue generating, but it's not permanent and it's not really as a result of the music. If, however, you are filming a movie, TV show, commercial, anything that is more permanent, then sure, the artist should get some kind of compensation.

Personally, I'm actually contacting underwater photographers and videographers requesting that they please use some of my music in their productions, in exchange for displaying credits and my website somewhere on the slideshow/video.

If you're interested, you can listen to my entire first album using the sitewide player on my website at www.JustAScubaCowboy.com and if you purchase any tunes or already own them, please feel free to use them in any "home videos" that you would like, even if they get published out on the web. Again, I consider it an honor and encourage it! Heck, I would love to see a copy of any production that has one of my tunes in the background... how cool is that!?!?!

There's a simple answer to the music question. If it's not yours and you don't have permission to use it then you can't use it.

What you show to your friends at home is one thing but once you show it to the public (dive club meeting) or post it on the internet (they don't call it the World Wide Web just 'cause it sounds good) you are violating the rights of the creator/owner/producer of that music. Again go to the beginning of this post if it isn't clear.

To find music that you can use in your productions just do a google search for royalty free or buyout music and you'll find plenty of songs.

I get a lot of music from a local group that let's me have their "leftovers" from practices.

Well here is my perspective on this topic!

I feel music that is copyrighted should be able to be used, if:
1. You own an original copy of said music.
2. Your video is used for non-commercial use.
3. You document in your video, who, where the artist is.

It's free advertising.

Now, if something ever came out of your video and for some reason you begin to make money off it, or now it is commerical. Then said Artist should receive some compensation. Fair is Fair.

Now I recently added a video to Youtube, and it had a Bob Marley track in it, and they simply muted the Audio. But I still have it for my personal viewing, so I am happy with that. When I begin to do some more detailed videos, then I may decide to use royality free. Plus I think some of that relaxing royalty free music is better suited for our underwater videos.

Just my 2 cents!

My solution:

Because of my website: www.marinevideo.eu - Home I tried to compose my own music. The result are avaialale on the site. I am willing to share the music under certain conditions:

1) Credits for me and the website
2) No selling of the video
3) Publishing of the video on our site

I offer this music to help people with this matter. On our site we don't want to have protected music. So, we provide the sounds for our site.

Our video "meeting gentle giants is with my music also. "Malpelo - a shark adventure" was composed by a pro for us.

My solution:

Because of my website: www.marinevideo.eu - Home I tried to compose my own music. The result are avaialale on the site. I am willing to share the music under certain conditions:

1) Credits for me and the website
2) No selling of the video
3) Publishing of the video on our site

I offer this music to help people with this matter. On our site we don't want to have protected music. So, we provide the sounds for our site.

Our video "meeting gentle giants is with my music also. "Malpelo - a shark adventure" was composed by a pro for us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom