Murex or eco divers at manado?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

juzdive

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Should I follow murex or eco divers at manado?
Anyone dive with them before can offer me some views.

Thanks!

Dear Juzdive
I haven't dived with Eco-Divers, but have stayed at Murex Dive Resort on a few occasions. Murex is owned by a local family (the Batuna's) Dr Hanny Batuna was one of the instigators of the Marine Park at Bunaken, also discovered many of the dive sites, he also set-up the recompression facility in Manado.
Currently Angelique Batuna and her husband Danny run the resort with help from Dr and Mrs Batuna, these people are very friendly and their staff are excellent. The resort is south of Manado City in a very quiet part of the coast, their is an excellent 'house reef' 50 metres from the dining room which has fantastic critters and is a stunning night dive. As far as I know. none of the other resorts has a shore dive anything like the one at Murex.
The rooms are very clean and most are air conditioned and have the feel of a cosy holiday chalet, it is definately not a hotel though - no room service or waiters. I love the place and its cosy/casual atmosphere.
Regards - Jeff

juzdive,

I too had stayed with Murex but not Eco-Divers.

As what Reefwalker had mentioned; the people, stay and diving are good.

Some operators are having promotion to Manado now. I'm planning to dive in Manado End May or June.

Happy Diving

Just came back from a trip to North Sulawesi (8-16 May), I use Eco-divers to take care my diving trips. As far as I am concerned, they offer a professional and good service. Another good thing about them is their boat. They have a really good diving boat equipped with GPS, radio, cell phone, seated dining in the covered salon, large dive deck with "Roll Control" tank racks and a large sun deck, I guess you better check their web site to see the picture and specification of them (Aquatica and Nautica). We've been to Bunaken, Manado Tua, Mantehage and Bangka Island with those boat and really satisfied.

Hi Hamburger,

Just get back from Manado; and I was with Eco-Divers this round. As compare to Murex; Eco has the best boat in town and the stay is so comfortable, but I prefer the DM from Murex, they are friendlier, more pro and hardworking, furthermore they are more familiar with the dive sites.

The price for both is almost the same, but I felt Eco are better run and should you get a bad DM ask for a change.

We had book via Singapore, Murex at S$620 less Flight, with dinner. Eco at S$700 with Flight, but without dinner for a 3 dive days package.

Night Dive at US$25
Bangka at US$20
Lembeh at US$20

Looking at the operation and maintenance cost, it will be better to dive with Eco, however if you prefer a personal touch, go for Murex.

Have just returned from Manado too. Was with Eco.
It was great! Great service and staff.

Agreed with Peter that you should asked for change of DMs if you're unhappy.
My friend and I got a sucky one on our 1st day! Checked with another dive group and they were also unlucky to have the same experience. And these 2 DMs are foreigners, the only 2 in the dive center. (How unlucky we were to get them!)
We asked for local DMs for the next day and it was great.
They were much more aware of the divers and familiar with the sites.

The foreign DM didn't even bother checking with us our air consumption for all 3 dives! (We had already indicated that we are newly certified divers) Once, he descended first even though I wasn't ready. Another time, he didn't realize he had lost my friend and I till 10 minutes later. Gave us the feeling that all he wanted was the get the dives over and done with. Lucky, there was another diver instructor in the group. And he actually acted more like our DM, asking for checks on depth and air gauge etc...

As my friend and I were new divers, we depend a lot on the DM to point out hard to spot creatures. And I must say the local DMs are great! After the dives, he was also very helpful and gladly went through what we saw with us.

So if you are going with Eco, make sure you insist on local DMs only.

Thanks for the info.

So basically if you budget US$120 / day for accomadation + day diving you have it covered.

I have had a similar experience with divemasters. One a Lembeh local and the other an english guy. But we were diving in Burma!

Cheers

The Hamburger,

More than enough, if you had taken the dive package with the resort, it will be cheaper. However, the rate I book via travel/dive agent is cheaper than if I were to book direct with the local dive operator/resort.

Some divers who had been staying at Manado for more than 2 weeks holidays told me that they had in fact did "resort hopping" and each resort/dive operator had given them new experience. You must dive at least once at Lembeh and Bangka; it is quite different from Bunaken.

If you want the best boat, go for Eco.
Murex is a good dive operator; I had yet to try others.

I had only dive till Similan, and had yet try Burma, someday perhaps.

I didn't realize that they have a foreign DM, as far as I know their DMs are all local people. The foreigners work there are the managers (they didn't guide us at all) and Kim, the Master Instructors. Though I did not dive with Kim, he gave me a very good briefing and I'm quite sure he will be the one who guide us comfortably safe.

yen once bubbled...
Have just returned from Manado too. Was with Eco.
It was great! Great service and staff.

Agreed with Peter that you should asked for change of DMs if you're unhappy.

So if you are going with Eco, make sure you insist on local DMs only.

Back
Top Bottom