Murdered in the Mayan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluewatertoy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wow! That is a terrible story.

I have stayed at that resort.....super great place.
The security there is always tight. You cannot leave for town or return without giving your name and room number. There are always security people walking around and keeping track of anyone who looks out of place. All the guests wear a colored hospital bracelet.
When you look at the fact that nothing was stolen, and there is no evidence of forced entry....the investigation should turn toward the wedding party....something is rotten in Canada.

Keep us informed as to any articles that you see.

I read about this on a Riviera Maya travel board on Monday (http://www.locogringo.com/forums/tm.asp?m=216183). The newspaper, Por Esto, was quoting police saying that initial information is leading them to suspect that the couple interupted an attempted burglary by a hotel staff member or members when they returned to their room after a rehersal dinner party with the wedding group.

Whatever the story ends up to be, it is very sad that the parents of the bride were murdered the evening before the wedding. I can't even imagine what the bride and groom must be feeling.

Yes, it's true, very sad, and the subject of LOTS of unnecessary speculation. There's plenty of discussion on this here and here.

All I will say is Por Esto's account seems incorrect, from what I have read. The suspects are two females, believed to be in Canada.

A link to the Toronto Sun updated the case.
http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/20857-bodies-found-barcelo-please-confirm-14.html

In summation: Authorities are calling it a professional hit. The perpetrators are thought to be Canadian, but not with the wedding party.
They (the suspects)checked into their room under the names King and Everard, which is the name of an obscure reggae band.

Both victims were in their night clothes and apparently opened the door and let the killers in.

Unless you have some mortal enemies, go ahead with your vacation. Barcelo Maya is one of my favorite resorts.

I mentioned this in the Cozumel form too, I just booked that same resort last week, non refundable, not that I would back out anyway -- what are the odds of twice?

There are a lot of theories, one Canadain cop said the Mexicans were very quick to call it a hit, even though not all the evidence points that way. Anyway as I said my gf wants me to keep my dive knife under the pillow at night. See girls, if you sleep with a diver they have all the right equipment.

I am making light of my own situation -- as for the couple who were getting married I am very sorry for them, and hope they catch the perps.

Back
Top Bottom