Multiple decompression dives/day- planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our "gang" also prefers to do one deco dive per day, but when the odd occasion arises, there is usually a 3 hour surface interval. It's usually the Jodrey, so the boat will take us to Alexandria Bay for lunch. :)

I'll do two "significant" deco dives a day, running V-Planner with +2 conservativism and 2hr+ SIT. Would follow that schedule or my computer, whichever kept me in the water longer.

In Truk I did 4-5 dives a day. Usually would do a long one first thing in AM, deco'ing on 60% with a few extra minutes, then a short shallow second AM dive w/o deco or 5-10min max on backgas. Then on afternoon wreck would do a deco dive on first dive with minimal deco on 60% padded. Second afternoon dive and/or night dive would be shallow, short, slow, and no-deco.

On deeper/longer deep dives (San Francisco, etc) I'd skip the second morning dive, and possibly the first afternoon dive too, or at minimum run no-deco on the afternoon.

Yups. It was back in no more than 30 min/50% days and we were switching to BG once 50% petered out. I don't remember exact schedules anymore. Nowadays I value bull****ting on deck slightly more than extra time in water at 20 feet.

Thanks, Maciek. That's interesting. I was also told as a strategy the same thing about doubling the shallow stops. Probably is the most conservative strategy. I never found anyone who actually was willing to do this with me on a multiple technical dive day since nobody I knew was willing to spend so much extra time in the water. So, in the end, I used a different strategy. However, I got to figure though that doubling the shallow stops is probably the safest way to go until you better understand through experience how your body tolerates various decompression profiles.

5% conservatism on an EMC-20H is very agressive and adding 10 minutes of O2 is just a really good idea. Anything under 30% strikes me as pushing it unless you are adding some additonal safety.

We run the 20H at 10% with IANTD tables. ~30% conservatism closely matches the Nitek Duo at the S0 setting.

This is another issue as well which IMO/IME warrants the use of a computer: two or more deep deco dives per day over a week or more, especially on deep air -you will start to N2 load your slow tissues over the course of several days such that they will not clear or perhaps even accumulate unless you elect to take a day-off or two.

Even if you use a bottom timer & Ratio Deco exclusively, a Shearwater Petrel computer helps by keeping a continuous record of your tissues' loading/saturation/off-gassing/residual tensions and provides info data you might have to use to start padding your shallow O2 deco stop times after Day 4 or 5 of consecutive dive days (i.e. Petrel computer's real time GF adjustments & tissue loading graph features etc, and CNS Ox-tox tracking very important in this instance as well!) in order to keep slow tissue tensions reasonably below surfacing M-value levels on ascent. (Got a type I hit right arm in Bikini Atoll on Day 8 with successful IWR last month, which prompted the purchase of the Petrel on returning home).

Just a general Rule-of-Thumb recommendation for those Ratio Deco divers out there: doing these types of deco dives (should be no more than two deep deco dives a day with minimum SIT 3hrs between them) over several consecutive diving days --even if using Standard Gases for bottom mix-- by Day 4 start adding more O2:break intervals at 20'/6m with a very slow ascent (0.5 m/min or a foot per minute) to the surface, monitoring for signs & symptoms of slow tissue DCS ("niggles" to obvious acute joint & limb pain and have an IWR contingency profile ready in your Wetnotes, just in case).

Better yet, take a day off. . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom