Multi-bottle D-Ring Clip Order

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from a dive and had the leash on the bottom with the floaty bottle (a 40 with 800psi) on the leash, and it sat perfectly where it should between my legs at my butt while scooter-ing. I had a second full stage in standard position, with the lower clip on top of the leash, with the spg between the two. Absolutely no problem reaching back and checking my spg and returning it between the two other clips while scooter-ing.

Funny thing, if I put my legs just right a little too close together while scooter-ing, the leashed bottle would start to dance back and forth like a metronome. Pull the legs apart just a little and the dancing stopped.

I just got back from a dive and had the leash on the bottom with the floaty bottle (a 40 with 800psi) on the leash, and it sat perfectly where it should between my legs at my butt while scooter-ing. I had a second full stage in standard position, with the lower clip on top of the leash, with the spg between the two. Absolutely no problem reaching back and checking my spg and returning it between the two other clips while scooter-ing.

Funny thing, if I put my legs just right a little too close together while scooter-ing, the leashed bottle would start to dance back and forth like a metronome. Pull the legs apart just a little and the dancing stopped.

I would like to take credit for this working but I am pretty sure it was worked out by some guys with a hell of lot more experience than me:D:D

I used to try to finesse the bottles into position etc., but now I sound more like a couple of hammers inside a washing machine when I am moving bottles around. Sometimes the shortest distance between two points is through another point:D:

You get some pretty bizarre movements of water over your body and gear when using a scooter. It would be interesting to see if there was some kind of UW chamber with moving water where we could actually see the currents as they move around and over your body. Kind of what they use for aerodynamic testing with smoke and all that. Maybe they have something like this. They must use it for things like torpedos and submarine testing?? Would be very cool to find the no **** optimum position for all this stuff. Maybe we could rig something up with one of those "Endless Pool" swimming thing-a-ma-bobs.

I am still thinking about the double ender thing that RTodd suggests. I am a little concerned with fact that when I swing the bottle around with the left hand I don't have anyplace to attach the other nose clip of the stage I am removing with my right hand. Might be a bit more tricky than attaching bottles on to the leash itself. I kind of thought that was the beauty of the leash in that it was infinitely flexible and could accommodate multiple boltsnaps easily. I don't see a lot of utility in practicing two different methods when one is adaptable to be used in any environment but that is just my take on this. I will have to try the double ender thing. I know some people just nose clip the stage on the d ring itself when the stage is empty, but that puts a lot of cylinders really close to the hip d ring. Makes things pretty crowded.

For a standard T2 config, I clip on the EAN50 bottle first, followed by the stage.

You have your bp/harness on. Looking down at your left chest D-ring. Here how I do it..

From left to right: AL80 stage, AL40 deco (clipped on first), backup light.

Ok, let say you are now looking left and down at your hip D-ring. Here how I do it...

From top to bottom: AL80 stage, AL40 deco (clipped on first), SPG, leash.
Does this mean that your AL80 stage (bottom stage) rides above AL40 (nitrox 50)? Or I didn't understand you correctly?

Does this mean that your AL80 stage (bottom stage) rides above AL40 (nitrox 50)? Or I didn't understand you correctly?

That's how I read this. The AL80 is "outside". Swap bottom stage(s) for O2 when that times arrives and never remove the inner bottle of 50%.

Edit oops....read it backwards. You did read it right and I was wrong.

That's how I read this. The AL80 is "outside". Swap bottom stage(s) for O2 when that times arrives and never remove the inner bottle of 50%.
In this configuration I put bottom stage below 50% bottle to support it.

50% bottle doesn't leave your side and when you bring the 02 up, it slides under the 50% bottle so when you nose clip it, the tail is under the 50% bottle.....

No. It's below. The bottom clip of the AL80 stage is actually above the bottom clip of the EAN50 bottle (AL40) on the hip D-ring but since the EAN50 bottle was clipped on first, the AL80 stage actually supports the EAN50 bottle (with helium in the AL80 stage, both bottles ride really nice). The clip order/configuration that I use makes the "bottle juggling" really easy.

I'll try and post some pics later. I'm off to Bali in less than two days so give me some time. In the mean time, I've attached a crap photo of me diving a "T1 with a stage" config and unfortunately it doesn't show the clip placements but you can see how the AL80 stage is supporting the EAN50 bottle.

48904d1219135077-multi-bottle-d-ring-clip-order-vie.jpg

Attachments

• Vie.JPG
    Vie.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 214
No. It's below. The bottom clip of the AL80 stage is actually above the bottom clip of the EAN50 bottle (AL40) on the hip D-ring but since the EAN50 bottle was clipped on first, the AL80 stage actually supports the EAN50 bottle (with helium in the AL80 stage, both bottles ride really nice). The clip order/configuration that I use makes the "bottle juggling" really easy.

I'll try and post some pics later. I'm off to Bali in less than two days so give me some time. In the mean time, I've attached a crap photo of me diving a "T1 with a stage" config and unfortunately it doesn't show the clip placements but you can see how the AL80 stage is supporting the EAN50 bottle.
As always, picture tells more then 1000 words. I guess it's the same configuration we all use.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom