Muck diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Muck diving. Diving anywhere in the vicinity of OW students.:D
:rofl3:
Classic. Even worse is going past the OW class when the Viz is only 10' to begin with, I couldn't see my computer at all, but it did teach us good buddy skills.

Brian

In Iowa being landlocked most of the water has rather poor viz. due to silt,goose crap etc., I drive an hour and a half to Lake Okoboji where viz. ranges from 3ft. to 20 feet, rather 5-10 being the norm. or have the option of hitting one of the holes near me where viz. is measured in inches not feet.Most of the diving I do in training and such on the Sheriff's dive team is black water meaning zero viz. why do I do it because it is either that or sitting at my computer dreaming of my next trip to the beautiful clear waters. I know of many muck divers (Almost All)who will dive clear water but, I know even more clear water divers that refuse to climb into the cesspools we dive round here LOL.

In Iowa being landlocked most of the water has rather poor viz. due to silt,goose crap etc., I drive an hour and a half to Lake Okoboji where viz. ranges from 3ft. to 20 feet, rather 5-10 being the norm. or have the option of hitting one of the holes near me where viz. is measured in inches not feet.Most of the diving I do in training and such on the Sheriff's dive team is black water meaning zero viz. why do I do it because it is either that or sitting at my computer dreaming of my next trip to the beautiful clear waters. I know of many muck divers (Almost All)who will dive clear water but, I know even more clear water divers that refuse to climb into the cesspools we dive round here LOL.

I am proud to be a member of the crew that WILL dive your conditions rather than the other option. Just to be underwater. As long as it is safe, I do not care what I see.

keep in mind black-water normally refers to water stained by tannic acid.....there is usually some viz - kinda like looking thru soda (pepsi, coke)...there's actually no sediment floating in it - now what's truly "no viz" is like chocolate milk - no need to even carry a light...the avatar photo I have shows me with a port hole that came out of a Civil War blockade runner...I found it by digging thru a bale of cotton with a claw hammer, hacking away I heard a clank - this had burned out of the hull and fallen down into the cargo hold....I would have never "seen" it in the murk.

A friend of mine likes to dive low visibility rivers and he has found old civil war artifacts and large, ancient sharks teeth. He has a room filled with old civil war artifacts.

When I say black water you see nothing but, black yes a light would do you no good it swallows the light.If you held your hand to your face you wouldn't know it.Water here in Iowa like this is silt ridden.

Back
Top Bottom