Much Needed Scuba Inventions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there kids!

I'm pretty bored here at the office and I need something interesting to read, so I figured I'd create my own fun here on the board. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for scuba inventions? Anything that nags you about scuba diving?

I don't have any of just now, but I'm sure I'll think of one...

:popcorn:

I'm waiting for a underwater GPS system.

Affordable Newtsuits. :)
The idea of spending an unlimited amount of time at any depth without decompression is my biggest fantasy. I'd love to walk the 19 miles to Catalina just to see what I come across on the bottom.

+1 to the underwater GPS. It would have to have some pretty amazing zooming capabilities. A dive boat could throw a tag on each tank and track where all the divers are at any given time. Dont know how that satalite signal through water thing works though.

A five pound 100cf tank and a half millimeter wetsuit which would take the place of a 7mm. A wrist-mount direction finder which would tell you where the damn boat is. Automatic fins and sonar integrated, automatic buoyancy control apparatus. Underwater cruise control and a couple of hotties who go for a 68-year-old.

..automatic buoyancy control apparatus. .
When I saw Sea Quests I3's come out I said its got to be close. :popcorn: I can't wait. All that buoyancy control work is just to darn hard. :wink:

When I'm teaching I have often thought of how nice it would be to have lead weights that float if the students drop them!!:D

Not GPS, but an inertial navigation system, would be ideal. Inertial navigation systems based on spinning gyroscopes were used in aircraft before GPS came along--and I'm sure are still used in aircraft, and spacecraft. Nowadays, there are tiny solid-state gyros that don't have moving parts. I've seen them used in radio-controlled model helicopters, so they can't be that expensive. It would have to somehow know your speed as you move along underwater, but other than that little problem, I see no reason why this could not be done. Would somebody please design an inertial navigation system that lets me find my way back to the boat!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom