MSY Damai: Any Reports?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn

Contributor
Reaction score
We're considering booking on the Damai for next summer since it's one of the few boats that will be anywhere other than Komodo when we travel. (I love Komodo but would like to go somewhere I havent' been.) I know the boats completed a couple of voyages already. I'm hoping someone here might be able to report on the condition of the boat, competence of the crew, or any problems that arose. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I am booked on the Damai and will report after we return. We are headed for Singapore on 11/10 then on to Manado and over to Kawasari resort for 9 nights and then back to Manado for a flight to Sorong and the Damai for 11 nights. Then back to Sing for some rest before we fly home....full report coming.
PT:D

I have been following the progress of this boat since its inception and have had quite a bit of correspondence with Alberto. I was going to charter the boat for next year, but the trips I wanted were already gone. I have since chartered the Seven Seas for Raja in March. I have spots if you are interested.

As for the boat, you may want to contact Tina at Island Dreams Travel. She was on a Fam trip recently. She is probably at DEMA right now (as is Alberto), so perhaps it is best to wait until Monday. I would trust Tina's opinion.

I would contact them and ask for a list of agents who have done the Fam trips. Then check their schedule and find one that has NOT bought a charter. Then contact them to get specific feedback.

I would love to see this boat be as advertised. No boat is perfect out of the ship builders yard. I, too, await some real diver feedback. Until then, you may have to trust an a travel agent.

I have been following the progress of this boat since its inception and have had quite a bit of correspondence with Alberto. I was going to charter the boat for next year, but the trips I wanted were already gone. I have since chartered the Seven Seas for Raja in March. I have spots if you are interested.

As for the boat, you may want to contact Tina at Island Dreams Travel. She was on a Fam trip recently. She is probably at DEMA right now (as is Alberto), so perhaps it is best to wait until Monday. I would trust Tina's opinion.

I would contact them and ask for a list of agents who have done the Fam trips. Then check their schedule and find one that has NOT bought a charter. Then contact them to get specific feedback.

I would love to see this boat be as advertised. No boat is perfect out of the ship builders yard. I, too, await some real diver feedback. Until then, you may have to trust an a travel agent.

Thanks. The Seven Seas would have been my first choice because of Mark Heighes. However, with a son in high school, I'm stuck with summer trips, and don't want to return to Komodo again. I'll follow up with Tina at Island Dreams.

Dear friends:
Warm greetings from the Damai team. We do not think it would be very objective from our side to give you a description of what we do, web sites already do that.
Since we have been already operating for a couple of months, we think the easiest way of doing it is to refer you to the names of some of the pros that have been with us. I believe they all have been in many other boats before, and they have the experience and the prestiget to give an accurate descrition of both: what we might be doing good, and what we need to improve.

Please feel free to contact any of them through their web site or just contact us for their details:

Marty Snyderman..pro video and photo
Mary Lynn Price..pro video
Mark Thorpe..pro video
Jeff Yonnover..pro photo
Tim Rock...pro Photo
Tina Miller..Island dreams wholesaler
Alan Markis..trip leader and photo pro
Vickie Cooker..Travel Masters wholesaler
Tanya Burnett..photo pro
Sol Foo..Magazine editor

Going to Raja and Triton Bay soon....nice!!!

Would be curious to know how many of the above listed pros paid the full rate for their trip ...

Probably none. Familiarization trip. My experience is that such people are always looking to get their next free trip.

I should add that Dive Damai pm'd me and offered contact information for past guests who are not professionals. I asked for their views on the boat. Of those who replied to my email, all are unabashedly enthusiastic about the boat giving it rave reviews. I am booking on the boat. It's a long way away, but once I've returned, I'll post a trip report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom