MR22 intermediate pressure problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobertSW

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All,

I have just self serviced 4 x MR22/Abyss regs circa 10 years old, all now have the same problem. 3 previous services on the same regs by me went fine.
When setting the intermediate pressure (in fact before I can even start to adjust the hex nut), the pressure creeps up to 15 bar (should be 9.8-10.2) then the 2nd stage not surprisingly starts flowing.
I am thinking 1st membranes need replacing - but before ordering the parts (x4) can anyone lend some advice?

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Were the IP pressures stable before you serviced them? Or did the problem begin only after service? And were you re-using 10-year-old HP diaphragms (or did I misunderstand)?

Edit: I deleted my guess as to what is causing the problem because it is just a wild guess until you post more info.

Best wishes and good luck.

IP was stable before the service.
The HP diaphragms are 10 years old, but visually fine and flexible. I am leaning more to the idea that it is the poppet springs that are tired ....?

I stripped and reassembled 3 last night, 1 is now ok (for now), 1 holds at 11 bar, the other still 15........

I appreciate the feedback.

I don't think Mares specifically says this, but another manufacturer (Zeagle) does: When overhauling the 1st stage, if the diaphragm is removed it should be replaced. The reason Zeagle gives is that a used diaphragm may not seat correctly if re-used. If the IP was stable before service, and no parts were damaged during service, I'd question whether the spring is the culprit. I'd be more inclined to believe one of the "soft parts" was the problem, possibly the old diaphragms.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom