MP3's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knight1989

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just bought a new(for me at least) truck, and found out the stock radio wont play mp'3s that I have put on CD's. Is there anouther way to copy them or reformat MP3s so that they will play on a slightly older CD player?

You have to create a basic audio CD. Which of course will limit you to about 10-15 songs per disk. My recommendation is to head to your favorite electroncs store, have them rip out that POS radio, and put in somethnig modern. It'll sound TONS better anyway. If you can afford it, have them put in two new front speakers too. Then you can ROCK!

Knight1989:
Just bought a new(for me at least) truck, and found out the stock radio wont play mp'3s that I have put on CD's. Is there anouther way to copy them or reformat MP3s so that they will play on a slightly older CD player?

I'm actually preatty happy with whats in there. I will replace it eventually, but for now its doing good. Good sound and its got a 6 disc changer and a tape deck for running my XM radio through. I do plan to add an amp and better speakers though.

With regards to the audio CD, do I need to reformat the MP3's before putting them on the disk, if so to what?

IPOD + ITrip (or some other radio transmitter). Pod goes into transmitter, transmitter goes into cigarette lighter. So long as your radio has FM you're golden...

Bryan

Most if not all your basic MP3 ripping programs (MusicMatch, WinAmp, even iTunes) has a utility that lets you burn your MP3's back into normal CD Audio format. With iTunes, just merely burning the songs back to CD puts them in the correct format. MusicMatch I believe does the same (I stopped using it when I went to iTunes). Others may require some setting changes.

Warthaug:
IPOD + ITrip (or some other radio transmitter). Pod goes into transmitter, transmitter goes into cigarette lighter. So long as your radio has FM you're golden...

AND you don't live in a major metropolitan area. Wireless FM modulators work best in areas that actually have unused radio frequencies.

However, in places like Los Angeles, EVERY single available frequency has something transmitting on it. You may not pick it up where you are at, but move a few miles down the road and all of a sudden you'll pick up a signal. That causes problems with wireless FM transmitters, as you have to frequently change frequencies to avoid static and distortion.

I have purchased and subsequently returned just about every brand of wireless FM modulator including the iTrip (junk), Monster CarPlay (bigger junk) and even the Belkin TuneCast (transmitter too weak to be useful). I have a smaller Belkin unit that works decently, but goes through batteries like there's no tomorrow. I'm lucky if I get a couple of hours of play on a pair of AAA batteries with it. I've even tried a wired FM modulator but all that did was pick up massive amounts of alternator whine.

The ONLY thing that works with my car stereo, in my area, is the Harman Kardon Drive+Play unit. At $200 (plus installation) it's not cheap, but it's worth it when you've tried everything else and failed.

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default.aspx

yeah, what everyone else is saying. YOu'll have to convert back to a standard cd file and burn them that way. If you have even 1 full disk of mp3's, that's a lot of time to spend on the comptuer.

Unless your time is only worth 10 cents an hour, I think you'd be better off just getting a new stereo console.

go to download.com and get any software that converts mp3s to .WAV format, convert the songs you want, and burn a regular music cd with software that you got for free from Microsoft w/ your PC.

www.scubamazing.com:
yeah, what everyone else is saying. YOu'll have to convert back to a standard cd file and burn them that way. If you have even 1 full disk of mp3's, that's a lot of time to spend on the comptuer.

Unless your time is only worth 10 cents an hour, I think you'd be better off just getting a new stereo console.
well, just do it while you're reading Scubaboard anyway. :wink:

You can download musicmatch for free, and use it to burn an audio CD like you'd get at the record store. Just be sure to burn it to a CD-R, not a CD-RW, as older units probably won't play a CD-RW (at least in my experience).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom