Mozambique - negative entry, boyfriend with equalizing problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dutchgirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I'm looking into diving in Mozambique (Tofo), but what I understand is that the dives are to be made with negative entry due to currents at the surface. Neither myself nor my boyfriend has ever done this (I have 75 dives now, he around 50, but we are real vacation divers so to say). For myself I don't think this will be an issue as I never had any problems equalizing my ears, but my boyfriend descends really slowly because he does have equalizing problems. Do you think that we can still go diving in Mozambique, or should we find another destination where it is not mandatory to do negative entry?

I've never dove there, but with your boy friends issues, why would you attempt negative entries? So many places to dive in the world where he won't have to worry, or you for that matter?

The main reason of course would be to see mantas and whale sharks, not to attempt negative entries as a goal :). Unless someone can confirm that it's also possible to dive these sites in Mozambique without negative entry. If not, can you suggest any places where we could also have a chance to see them where negative entry is not necessary?

Isla Mujeres (20 min ferry ride off Cancun), Mexico. See my video below. You just need to snorkel there. There are hundreds of them swimming around 3 miles north-east (90 minute boat ride) off Isla Mujeres beach during summer (July-September) when snapper spawning. The upwelling current from the deep brought the snapper eggs up to the surface, where each whalesharks is merrily scooping those eggs & consuming about 100-150 kg of eggs / day. When I swam with them 2 weeks ago, I found those eggs on my wetsuit, hairs, everywhere.

Last edited:
If you want to dive with whaleshark, you need to go to Cendrawasih Bay, Papua, Indonesia. No negative entry. You just slowly descend into the blue or go underneath tuna fisherman platform. There they like to swim below the platform to suck of the oil from anchovies that are placed in a net under the platform for fish bait.

Check out the whaleshark of Cendrawasih Bay video below:

Oh wow, that must have been amazing! I wouldn't mind snorkelling with them either, maybe even better haha.

Ok thanks, I'll check that out! Must be nice to also see the dragons there on a land excursion :)

If Mozambique (I have never been there) is like Zanzibar or Pemba, then, might as well go elsewhere better for the same distance & cost. The reason I went to dive in Zanzibar & Pemba was because I went to hike Kilimanjaro & did the Safari too, so might as well dove there while I was in the neighborhood. Diving there is meh comparing to Indonesia.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom