Moz or Madagascar or Mauritius or what?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanik

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone,

First time poster (newly joined), long time lurker...I dove in SA (GW in Gansbaai) and Moz (Manta Coast at Barra) for two weeks in April 07, and I am traveling to SA (Pretoria) for work the first week of Nov. I figure since they're flying me all the way over there, it only makes sense to piggyback a few weeks of leave on there to do some diving, right? :D

I love big animals, mantas, sharks, etc., and am looking for some ideas/suggestions for those two weeks. I was thinking Madagascar, or maybe Mauritius, but it seems like the big stuff is located in northern SA and Moz, to which I'll happily return if it gives me the best chance of seeing some good stuff!! So another consideration is a week at Aliwal, and maybe a week back up in Moz? How about Tanzania? I've scoured the boards and the opinions are all over the place. How have the shark sightings been recently at Protea Banks? I know Nov isn't tiger shark season, but seeing some hammerheads would be awesome.

Anyway I could go on for hours but am very open and welcoming to suggestions for tips, destinations, operators, etc. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Nikki

Hey, this is my second post, so guess this is now a newbie thread. I have about 100 dives in South Africa and the nearby Islands so can help out.

Really depends on what you are looking for. You have been to Gansbaai which is really only good for Great White Sharks. Still worth it, but the cage is attached to the back of a boat and you will feel each swell as it lifts and drops the boat.

The Cape (Cape Town to about Port Elizabeth) is good for cold water diving. Raggie sharks (about 7 foot long) maybe some cold water fish and a number of wrecks. The further east you go the warmer the water. Largest sting ray I have ever seen was in Plettenberg Bay. It was clearly wider than I am long (6 foot 3) by some margin. Water temps around 10C to 17C, Vis 15ft to 30ft.

I have not dived the Protea Banks, but the reputation is for potentially strong current, some tiger sharks and raggie sharks. This is also slightly warmer water. I have a number of dives just to the North at Durban / Aliwal. Certain to see Raggie sharks, I have seen Dolphins and rays. probably some current and you are now in 20 C water with tropical fish and up to 100 ft vis.

Further north is Sodwana. This is where I learnt to dive. Tropical, large bass, warm water sharks, I have seen whale shark and a number of rays. Big potato bass and brindle bass. 2 mile reef may have more divers than fish, further out can be great.

Further north is Mozambique. I have dived ponto which is just north of the border and rate this as some of the best diving I have done. Plenty of rays and big fish, also had a deep dive with just me and an instructor. Doing the deep stop at about 20 m (60ft) a school of what we guess was 40 hammerhead sharks started circling us. Awsome. Again for big fish you are talking bass and stingrays.

I have not dived Madagascar. Mauritius is great, though the fish are smaller. I have dived the North (Grand Bay) and also most of the west coast. I have about 15 to 20 dives in Mauritius and have not seen a shark. My personal view was that Mozambique is better. The cathedral (off the Sugar beach resort) is worth a trip if you are out there. Not sure I would do the 5 hour flight just to dive here.

Personally, I would drive to Sodwana, Aliwal and Mozambique (you will need 4 wheel drive or to arrange for the dive shop to pick you up at the border to Mozambique). You could also fly in to Marlin Lodge in Mozambique which is further north, I have heard good things, but not dived there.

To add, a week is a long time to be in Aliwal. If you have that time, rather Sodwana or Ponto in Moz.

I would also agree - rather dive Sodwana & Ponta du Ouro to see much better reefs ,lots of fish and a feel good diving experience. Diving at these sites will also be much more economical than at Madagascar.'Scuba scene ' in Pretoria are well known and reputable dive operators should you need them to arrange your dives.Enjoy your stay here!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom