moving up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guy for the info. jewelofnile I spent a lot of time in the ocean free diving. I understand where your coming from but i have buddies that work as padi pro's and they love there job. As for mine not so much. Even if i can get part time work I'll be happy. I have done a lot of thing in my life. This is by far is the best. I love being a emt why not add diving to the picture.

tphelps I looked at the cost and the time i will need. It's going to be rough but I really would like to do this.

Thanks guy for the info. jewelofnile I spent a lot of time in the ocean free diving. I understand where your coming from but i have buddies that work as padi pro's and they love there job. As for mine not so much. Even if i can get part time work I'll be happy. I have done a lot of thing in my life. This is by far is the best. I love being a emt why not add diving to the picture.

tphelps I looked at the cost and the time i will need. It's going to be rough but I really would like to do this.

That's great. Enjoy it. Just remember, like tphelps said, you need like 50 logged dives for DM and 100 for instructor. Enjoy your training!

---------- Post added February 25th, 2013 at 01:20 PM ----------

Oh, and I'm assuming that (once the ice is gone) you'll be doing your open water check out dives in Devil's Lake? The vis generally sucks there. I've got 15 or so dives in Devil's Lake (to include my check out dives, some of my AOW dives, and my Rescue dives) and the vis was terrible every single time. If you can get past that, you'll have a blast. There really is lots of good diving around the area.

I'm diving with diversions..so when they say its time.. How is the vis in Devil's lake? less then 5ft? I know you said it sucks but will i slam into stuff or can you see a little bit.

I'm diving with diversions..so when they say its time.. How is the vis in Devil's lake? less then 5ft? I know you said it sucks but will i slam into stuff or can you see a little bit.

LOL, well, I'm not sure you'll slam into stuff, but there are times when it is literally just 5 feet. The issue is more this...the areas where you do the training is generally pretty mucked up and vis is between 5 and at best 15 feet. I have been in there when I've been deeper and not as close to the training "platform" where it can be as good as 20 feet...but that's on a seriously amazing, sunny, calm day when no other divers have been in the water yet. :) My open water check out dives were all about 5 feet. It really did suck...but I got through it and I absolutely love to dive...anywhere...even with crappy conditions.

Diversions is great...they know their stuff. Who have you had for your instructor(s) so far?

Stewart Winter so far. Great kid(yes i know but i'm in my thirties he's a kid). I also meet Isaac. Don't know him that well yet. The student where more interested in my adventures in the Marine's then diving. Even Stewart was interested in my skydiving exploits. They have been good to me so far and I see no problem getting my dive master through them.

Are part of a dive club? I am looking to find a club that a noob like me can learn from more experienced divers. Driving to madison all the time costs way to much in gas. All the dive gear and training is enough.
There is one in west bend I'm looking into.

Stewart Winter so far. Great kid(yes i know but i'm in my thirties he's a kid). I also meet Isaac. Don't know him that well yet. The student where more interested in my adventures in the Marine's then diving. Even Stewart was interested in my skydiving exploits. They have been good to me so far and I see no problem getting my dive master through them.

Are part of a dive club? I am looking to find a club that a noob like me can learn from more experienced divers. Driving to madison all the time costs way to much in gas. All the dive gear and training is enough.
There is one in west bend I'm looking into.

Not sure I've met Stewart. I know Isaac, Aaron and Tamara. I haven't done any training through them....DH and I've done everything with private instructors that are friends.

I would think West Bend would be the same distance...but not sure on that. My dad lives on Big Cedar lake in WB. I feel like it's about 45 minutes from his place to BD and 45 minutes from Madison to BD....I guess it's just about what your preference is. Madison has two dive clubs...one is for the college students mainly (not exclusively - Hoofers) and the other my husband and I are looking into. (Being former military myself and being that I tend to lean more right, I have a hard time fitting in with the dive stuff in the Madison area. But dive clubs are a great way to meet people and get diving.) :) I know how driving sucks as we were driving to Milwaukee for the Badger State Dive Club meetings and couldn't do that anymore. The other Madison one is Four Lakes Scuba (http://www.fourlakesscubaclub.org/) but unfortunately they meet almost on the west side of Madison which would be even further for you. West Bend does have a dive club: Urge To Submerge - Main. That one may just work out to your advantage. Oh, the far east side of Madison (actually Sun Prairie) has a new shop called Madison Scuba. He's a little nuts (PM and I will tell you more b/c it's military related) but does a lot of diving and may be worth checking out MadisonScuba ? (608) 219-5075 ? Snorkeling and Dive Center. He actually has a saltwater pool on location where you can try gear out before you buy...and they organize a ton of dive trips and do a lot of weeknight and weekend diving in the area. And to be honest, he may be priced slightly less than Diversions...I cannot remember. Oh, and check out AquaMunkee Scuba...this is one of our buddies that teaches and has his own (small) dive club: http://www.aquamunkee.com/scuba/index.php. He's a great instructor as well. My husband is working on his DM with him right now (I was but decided I'm not interested in doing the DM thing).

Have you purchased your own gear already? Be sure to keep an eye out on Craigslist and ebay...great way to get relatively new equipment cheap. Our good buddy who has been diving for years and needed to replace some stuff just got an amazing deal through Craigslist: BCD, reg/gauges, dive computer, wetsuit, weights, tanks, etc., all only used 7 times for $800. The stuff looks brand new.

Generally when we purchase new we work with Diversions or I buy online. I like to spread the wealth around.

Once you finish up your cert, keep in touch with me and I'll keep you posted on our diving schedule. We do quite a lot of local diving (my hubby is all about at least 1 dive a month...which may include ice diving) and we have a local group of friends that dive with us. We've dove just off my dad's place in Big Cedar. We head up to Devil's Lake, Wazee up in BRF, and down Pearl Lake in South Beloit. We'll head out to Lake MI and up to MI as well.

How long were you in the Marines? What did you do?

Great well my name is josh and i was a scout in the jarhead clan. I really cant talk to much about what we do or did but it was challenging . I don't have gear yet (works slow and money's tight). I should be done with my owc in april.. If you have any recommendation on gear I'll take it. I'll pm my e-mail to yah

---------- Post added February 25th, 2013 at 06:21 PM ----------

I would love to ice dive. I wanna do that golf thing I saw on youtube with ping pong balls. I just want to have fun and be safe at the same time. Don't care where i dive as long as I have air I'll be fine.

Congrat's on getting into rec diving.

AS tphelps mentioned, to teach Padi's rescue diver, you need to be an Open Water Scuba Instructor or above.
For that you need Advanced, then Rescue, then Divemaster, then complete the Instructor Development Course and take the Instructor Exam.

One of the prereq's for being a OWSI is being an EFR Instructor. You could take the EFR Instructor course now as it has no diving prerequisites whatsoever, and then get some teaching experience. You just need to find an EFR Instructor Trainer, and I think that every scuba instructor trainer (Master Scuba Diver Trainer and above) is supposed to be able to do that course.

Best of luck with your training and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom