Moving to Vancouver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MartianBeerPig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'll be moving to Vancouver from August for about twelve months. I've been living in Kuala Lumpur for the last six years and normally dive the east coast of Malaysia. So what's diving the other corner of the Pacific like? I don't suppose my 3mm shorty is going to cut it.

Welcome to Vancouver!

I can't believe you are leaving your warm water paradise.
confused.gif
I can still remember my first snorkeling excursion in the East Coast islands of Malaysia decades ago..... White sands, clear blue waters and bountyful corals in such shallow waters that still leave a vivid impression in my memory. How I wish to go back there once more. I even remember all the great night fishing in Kalongs (sp?) that were parked out in the middle of nowhere!
11.gif

Be ready for a shock when you dip your feet into our waters here.
04.gif
Hope you can enjoy some of the interesting marine life we have out here.

Cheers!

Tatsubon

Well, all that sand and warm water was giving me a rash. I keep telling myself that. Twelve months in balmy Vancouver and my rash will be cured and I can go back to Malaysia.

Yea, a 3mm shorty really isn't going to cut it. :D Try two 7mms together, or a dry suit. you'll find that you'll be a bit more comfy. :D

Diving here really is spectacular. If you can get over the cold water thing, you wont be disappointed!

lucky you....I was looking for my company to relocate me to Vancouver..so I can do some diving ...i mean work

S. starfish:
I dare you to dive in a 3mm suit. No, I double dare you to.
Don't really see that happening any time soon. Trying to figure out a way I can wear two dry suits. I'm a total girl's blouse when it comes to cold water.

So, does anyone think it's worthwhile doing some training on dry suit diving? Or is it fairly easy to pick up as you go along?

MartianBeerPig:
So, does anyone think it's worthwhile doing some training on dry suit diving? Or is it fairly easy to pick up as you go along?
Basic training is very important..also you need to log some dives to get comfortable in dry suit diving...especially in open water areas, such as BC, with different currents on many dive sites.

I suggest either taking a drysuit orientation course or finding someone who knows what they're doing and going for a few practice dives in shallow water (let's say, 20ft max, 10-15 preferable) with them. Drysuit diving is a whole new ball game.
Just FYI, if you're planning on renting a suit most shops will require that either you do an orientation course with them or have your drysuit specialty card.

Back
Top Bottom