Moving to LA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

norcaldiver

Reaction score
Hey all
I just accepted a position in LA, Long Beach actually - that Hawaii thing fell through...

So, the questions are:
Where are the good shops?
Where are the good beaches and night dive spots?
Any clubs worth checking out?

And, of course, I needs some buddies!

I can and have looked up a lot of this on the net, but you can't beat 1st hand info.

Hmm, I wonder if I need to change my screen name now......

In Long Beach, you will be located near the departure points (Long Beach and San Pedro) for a lot of the local dive boats. Will you be living in that area?

Yup. My mother-in-law has a place on 2nd street near Falcon, not too far from the Queen Mary. We're looking for a place near there so we can exploit the "grandma factor".

As far as shops are concerned, I don't generally get that far south. Pacific Wilderness in San Pedro has a good selection and I have been treated well there, but I know some others on this board have had mixed experiences there on the customer service front.

If you are into beach dives, have you checked out the Sandeaters website? You can find it off of www.ladiver.com - I can't remember what the last part of the address is. I've done Redondo Beach at night, but that's it.

Congrats on your parole from No Cal and being transfered to our slice of heaven. You realize, of course, that you'll need to change your handle. And there are some rules to being a So Cal:

#1 - Sports: Relinquish any and all allegiance to:

* San Jose Sharks (replace with LA Kings... NOT THE DUX)

* Excramento Kings and/or GS Warriors (replace with the Lakers)

* No Cal Giants and/or Oakland A's (We're all about the Dodgers)

* If you're a Raiders fan, that's still OK here. If you're still a 49'ers fan, live in the now my friend. Manilo is gone.

#2 - Grography Lession

* There is no "down here". Here is simply here. If we're going to cleanse you from that No Cal stain, you need to understand that So Cal is home, and No Cal is still unfortunately No Cal.

* So Cal: from the 605 freeway on the south, to Santa Barbara on the north. Any place within 310, 626, 818. 909 barely counts, because that's out Fontukey and riverside way... avoid. NEVER go east of I-15.

* OCal ("OH-Cal" - Orange County): An infections, pretentious, irksome lot. They sit on the border of our So Cal heaven from their bankrupt county and lob scuds over the border. Think Disney, think "The Irvine Company", think home of the $25 car wash. They believe they are So Cal. Don't be fooled, they are not. You may drive through (if you can...) or you may perform a beach entry from within OCal, but never linger. If you are handed a 714 area code, change phone companies. They dwell from south of the 605 on the north, to about Dana Point on the south. Just talking about OCal makes me crave a shower.

* Low Cal (San Diego): Now you're talkin'. Great people, great fishing, wonderful down-town, cool hang, outstanding diving. The only other place on the planet you should consider planting roots (if So Cal is out) is Low Cal. Dana Point on the north (although there is a raging debate on where the Low Cal border really is) and south to the Mexican border. Highly recommended.

* No Cal: everything above Santa Barbara, unfortunately, falls into No Cal. To be avoided at all costs. Miles of pristine coastline and quaint seaside towns are toxed with the stain of No Cal, so sadly, I avoid them. The bitterest of the ongoing border skirmish is No Cal / So Cal. They (a city by a bay) are in complete denial that they want to be like So Cal, as they follow our most every move - theater, cuisine, finance, culture. They are our second city. We essentially ignore OCal around here, but No Cal falls into your basic and active loathe. It may be hard to get into that groove, but if you plan on stayng awhile in So Cal, you should adapt and learn to hate them.

OK - back to Diving. I work in LB. I live in Marina Del Rey. LB is one of the largest land masses in the state, and may geographically, be the largest proper city in the country. LB stretches amazingly from the 710 on the north, to the 605 on the south, from the beach on the west, to the 91 inland....its simply HUGE. Lots to do, LB is becoming a great, great city.

We could spend weeks going over the good shops / lame shops and the debate could rage over the best dive spots, dive boats and beach dives (Sandeaters that KM provided is a good lead for that) and best post dive hangs. PLus we have the whole channel islands thing going on in So Cal, and you have the wrecks in Low Cal, etc, etc.... Its endless - the diving here is just great.

PM me anytime and we'll talk about the places to go and stuff to do.

Welcome to So Cal.

K

I want to get my reg serviced (Apeks reg). We're at the new Long Beach Cruise Terminal, right next to the Queen Mary....any shop recomendations? Any input on who to avoid?

Long Beach is our home port (ie, the place where all the guests from the previous cruise get off the ship and all the new ones get on...and all their data goes with them), so I don't have alot of time there....but I haven't found anyone on Catalina that services Apeks.

Peace,
Cathie

norcaldiver once bubbled...
Hmm, I wonder if I need to change my screen name now......

And your avatar, too :)

Welcome to your new home. You're going to be much closer than most of us to Catalina. Definitely a plus for those early rides to the island.

Catalina has the best shore diving that I know of, day and night. For the rest, you'll have easy access to many boats departing from LB and beautiful San Pedro.

Don't hesitate to PM for the buddy thing when you've settled...down.

...post a Coke alert next time. That was about the BEST description of "No Cal" zones I've ever seen. Orange County lobbing scuds over the border--I'm dying! Are you sober when you come up with this stuff?

You have these border skirmishes in Phoenix, I'm sure:

Phonex v. Mesa v. Glendale v. Indian School v (insert some other yuppy sagebrush burrow/township/district).

This affiliation war going on in So Cal is nothing new - we're all quite familiar with it. OCal has been trying to glom on So Cal (LA) forever.

They're still bitter that Brian Wilson (a So Cal boy from Downey) strategically left them out of Surfin' USA. I mean crimany - he mentions Hawaii and Austrailia (both a zillion miles away) and Low Cal (La Jolla, etc.) but just blows over bitter, OCal. Its beautiful, man. They are our bee-atch.

As far as No Cal goes, its hatred embedded too deep for rational articulation. They get bitter as we punk them again and again, and we just get more tan. It started with the Aqueduct in the 30's and 40's, then the Dodgers and the Giants in the 50's and 60's (gee...who got the best of that deal?) and has just been rolling ever since. The Giants will never win anything (as was evidenced by another drumming last season) the Sharks owe their entire existance to Gretzky and the So Cal Kings, and we can't even talk about the Warriors or A's without just laughing. They're No Cal - just the same as OCal, but with bad weather, an empty technology corridor and fewer paper zillionaires these days. Drain your pool and run the sprinklers...they'll always have more water to send.

Anyway, I digress. Don't get me going on No Cal...I can bash all day without even taking a breath.

I don't drink, so these semi coherent ramblings are in fact the fruit of a sick mind.

Ken
Proud So Cal for life

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom