Moving to France

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brittany temeratures are colder than mediterranean temperatures.

French regulation allows dive centers to let you dive in autonomy after a check dive or if you are a CMAS 2* (20 - 25 meters) or higher (60 meters).

But if you dive outside a center, you have no regulation in France.

Brittany temeratures are colder than mediterranean temperatures.
True. And some of the dive spots are gorgeous

French regulation allows dive centers to let you dive in autonomy after a check dive
The regulation allows it but it is all at the dive center and instructor discretion/will. So to avoid any burden the only choice left is to held a CMAS ** or above certification.

But if you dive outside a center, you have no regulation in France.
We (people from this board living in France and/or aware of our crazy laws) all know that. But how can this be relevant for
a) a foreigner coming for holidays
b) people living away from the sea and that therefore do not have their own tank nor their own boat?
Diving without a facility is feasible but also not a common things that many normaly do because they need logistic

The regulation allows it but it is all at the dive center and instructor discretion/will. So to avoid any burden the only choice left is to held a CMAS ** or above certification.

Right, but you have forgotten to write than a dive-marshall hasn't to recognize your CMAS or french certs.

b) people living away from the sea and that therefore do not have their own tank nor their own boat?
Diving without a facility is feasible but also not a common things that many normaly do because they need logistic

Many sites (like those of http://mapalmes.net near Marseille) can be dived from the shore, you just have to rent a tank (and no card is required to that).

Is there shore diving available in the Mediterranean Sea? I will be headed to France in February, but going to Figeac.

There is'nt need of any cave-cert in France, except if you want to do a higher cave-course outside from any other agency than FFS.
Your GUE card won't have any utility in France.

Many of french cave divers and instructors dive with isolated (i.e. without manifold) twins, some (IANTD and TDI instructors principally) dive with.

You can contact Frank Vasseur, Alban Michon or David Mayor on the web

(...) you just have to rent a tank (and no card is required to that).

True, I have never been asked to show any proof of certifications yet, maybe because I speak a proper french and they assume that I have a certification.
But I won't be surprised if diveshop owners ask a certification prior rental of scuba gear. This country is becoming more and more like the US and in case of incident, the justice and the familly will try to find someone responsible and get him convicted for negligence :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom