Moving to Fort Worth, good sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EMTPDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Heya, this is EMTPDiver, currently an Alaska Polar Bear, soon to be a Texas Swamp Diver. I am moving from Anchorage to Fort Worth next summer, and am eager to start diving in a warmer climate. What are some good spots nearby (or even a good days drive away) from Ft Worth? What places have the best visibility, best wildlife, most interesting features, etc?

I don't mean for you all to have to write a ton in answer to my very broad question, just throw some place names out there like "Clear Springs-interesting features" and I can do the research. Any info is appreciated. Thanks alot.

Clear Springs, Aquarena Springs, Flower Gardens (Gulf Diving), Missile Silo (Abiliene), Possum Kingdom, athens scuba park, Lake Travis, Canyon Lake, Blue Lagoon, Gulf of Mexico rigs - theres a start for research.

For going diving - keep your dry suit - you can use it to dive with hammerheads at Flower Gardens in Feb - March. & also Possum Kingdon year round. I loved FG when I was in TX. PK is close to Fort Worth.

Aquarena Springs is a great site, but you have to have the Science Diver cert, about $220, but you get lifetime cert, no park fees, and free fills (if the compressor is up).

The silo, Valhalla, is one that I'm looking forward to trying over the summer, but it costs $400 to open it up. Most people form groups and split the cost.

I dunno what the diving is like up there, but you get used to low viz diving pretty soon around here. They call people down here "Swampers" for a reason.

My answer to your question short and sweet......
The best things in life are free !
When you get here forget about the local quarry fluff and head to
Lake Broken Bow, Oklahoma. :wink:

I took my class up there in the 80's and we did our check out at the lake at the Nuclear pwr plant in Glen Rose where they get their water from. Nice days outing. See the Dino tracks along the river at the local State park too. there are tons of lake in N. Tx but nothing like hitting the Gulf (if you go far enought out.) I don't know if you can still dive there or not.
It is called Comanche Peak Power plant and the park is called Squaw Creek. The park is across the lake from the Plant.

Found this online:

Squaw Creek Lake -
Built for cooling the Comanche Peak Nuclear Power Plant, this 3,228-acre lake is unusually deep a clear, with a rocky shoreline. Squaw Creek Lake provides excellent fishing for stocked population of spotted, smallmouth and hybrid striped bass and walleye, and native game fish(Fee access). The lake is also used for boating, swimming, sailing, windsurfing, picnicking and camping ($10 per night for RV hookup). The reservoir is also noted for scuba diving. About 4 miles north of Glen Rose off Texas 144. Located at 2300 Coates Rd in Granbury. For information, call (817)573-7053.

http://www.texasoutside.com/glenrose/sites.htm

Hey...whats that glow....

Squaw Creek is currently closed to the public due to terrorism concerns. Plus, I've heard but not directly experienced, that the vis is very poor now due to algae in the warm water after the plant went active.

Back in the 80's though, it was pretty good diving! 15'+ at times....

In addition to the above...
Comal River (San Marcos), and if you don't mind invading Oklahoma, Lake Murray and Lake Elmer Thomas.

Trips to Cozumel can be pretty inexpensive as well. Lots of flights from DFW.

A few private stock ponds. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom