Moving to Crete, Greece…diving suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love diving in Greece! Kalithea on Rhodes was an awesome dive. Even had great snorkeling off the beach from an outdoor cafe at Patmos.

Looks like work might be sending me to Chania in Mid May for a week. I'd like to get some dives in while I'm there. Does anyone know what the water temps might be? Will a 3MM be enough?

Jim
Welcome to my home town!!

Right now bottom (30m) temperatures are around 17oC - surface slightly warmer (18-19).
By mid May bottom temperatures will not have changed much - maybe +1 degree, but surface should be warmer few degrees.
I dive drysuit in that temperatures (!). 3mm for me are definitely not enough. I go to my (2 pieces) 5mm some time around the end of May (bottom temp reaching 20ish), and 3mm at August with bottom temps of 25+.

As for operators the most "serious" one is Chania Diving Center (catering everything from snorkeling, up to rebreather/trimix/cave dives and courses). Then there is Blue Adventures Diving (only rec diving) who dive sites relatively near the city (similar sites to Chania Diving for rec level) , and then there is Omega divers (again rec only) which practically do only Elephant Cave (a very nice OW level cave somewhat further away eastwards of the city - Chania Diving Center goes there too but not daily). If you have only one dive day, I would try to do the elephant cave with Chania Diving (if their schedule matches with yours) - or Omega divers as second choice. If you dive more days, I'd choose Chania divers and ask them to do elephant day.
All operators typically do 2 morning dives (expect pickup time around 8ish o'clock from your hotel) and finish (drop back to hotel) 2 or so. They can also do afternoon dive(s) if required.

Keep in mind that the place is full of other things to see and do (trekking up the mountains, very nice beaches to visit in the west and south side of the island, archeological sites, wonder around the old town etc etc) . If you don't have many days, maybe you'd better stick to topside activities.

Let me know if you need more help/details.

Keep in mind that the place is full of other things to see and do (trekking up the mountains, very nice beaches to visit in the west and south side of the island, archeological sites, wonder around the old town etc etc) . If you don't have many days, maybe you'd better stick to topside activities.

Φιλέ,

Γιατι δε του ειπες τιποτα για να φαει κατσίκα?

@EberWolf

You will find the most amazing food on Crete. Crete is the breadbasket of Greece. Extremely fertile island. Every night there are trucks loaded with food at each of the 4 main cities on the north coast taking ferries to Athens.

Be sure to see Balos beach (go early, as even during Covid last day of October, the parking lot was full) as well as Elafonissi Beach (don't be fooled by the pink sand photos, the tourists have stolen too much sand over the years, so there isn't much left).

The most delicious goat I've ever eaten was at Posidonio where you are overlooking the Libyan Sea (maybe wave to one of the SBers over there)
1682958442630.png

Also, a sunset drive up the road crossing back north of Kapsodasos is stunning. It is a sketchy road though. Hope you don't come across anyone coming the other way (I was there during Covid, so it was mostly locals on the island).

Καλυ τυχη! (good luck!)

EDIT:
Γαμοτο! Ειμαι μανουτσο μαλακας. Ξεχασα αυτο το εστιατοριο!

@EberWolf

This is another AMAZING place towards the center of the island. We were crossing the island, a little hungry, and had an absolutely delicious feast here.
1682961626581.png

@wetb4igetinthewater the poor guy is coming here to work as he said, not for holidays...
He will need days off work to do all these.
This isn't just for him though. It is for anyone going to the island in the future who finds this thread.

other than my certification dives in Virginia I've only been diving in the Kingdom of Bahrain with a couple trips to the Maldives. The winter temps here in Bahrain hit around 18C. In August last year the surface temp of the water here was 38C. It gets down to a chilly 32C at 20-25 meters.

I go from a 5mm in the winter to a rash guard in the summer. The rash guard is mostly for the rouge jelly and sun protection.

I'll only need a 2 to 3 "work days". The rest I might be taking vacation time. Would it be worth lugging my gear with me or should I plan a trip at a later date when work isn't involved?

Jim

Φιλέ,

Γιατι δε του ειπες τιποτα για να φαει κατσίκα?

@EberWolf

You will find the most amazing food on Crete. Crete is the breadbasket of Greece. Extremely fertile island. Every night there are trucks loaded with food at each of the 4 main cities on the north coast taking ferries to Athens.

Be sure to see Balos beach (go early, as even during Covid last day of October, the parking lot was full) as well as Elafonissi Beach (don't be fooled by the pink sand photos, the tourists have stolen too much sand over the years, so there isn't much left).

The most delicious goat I've ever eaten was at Posidonio where you are overlooking the Libyan Sea (maybe wave to one of the SBers over there)
View attachment 781665
Also, a sunset drive up the road crossing back north of Kapsodasos is stunning. It is a sketchy road though. Hope you don't come across anyone coming the other way (I was there during Covid, so it was mostly locals on the island).

Καλυ τυχη! (good luck!)

EDIT:
Γαμοτο! Ειμαι μανουτσο μαλακας. Ξεχασα αυτο το εστιατοριο!

@EberWolf

This is another AMAZING place towards the center of the island. We were crossing the island, a little hungry, and had an absolutely delicious feast here.
View attachment 781667
I never thought I would have to correct/complete you on any post in SB, but the absolute best (extremely non-vegan) place in Crete and only 15-min Chania, is Leventis in Stalos.
Perfect for some deco protein. :wink:

Welcome to my home town!!

Right now bottom (30m) temperatures are around 17oC - surface slightly warmer (18-19).
By mid May bottom temperatures will not have changed much - maybe +1 degree, but surface should be warmer few degrees.
I dive drysuit in that temperatures (!). 3mm for me are definitely not enough. I go to my (2 pieces) 5mm some time around the end of May (bottom temp reaching 20ish), and 3mm at August with bottom temps of 25+.

As for operators the most "serious" one is Chania Diving Center (catering everything from snorkeling, up to rebreather/trimix/cave dives and courses). Then there is Blue Adventures Diving (only rec diving) who dive sites relatively near the city (similar sites to Chania Diving for rec level) , and then there is Omega divers (again rec only) which practically do only Elephant Cave (a very nice OW level cave somewhat further away eastwards of the city - Chania Diving Center goes there too but not daily). If you have only one dive day, I would try to do the elephant cave with Chania Diving (if their schedule matches with yours) - or Omega divers as second choice. If you dive more days, I'd choose Chania divers and ask them to do elephant day.
All operators typically do 2 morning dives (expect pickup time around 8ish o'clock from your hotel) and finish (drop back to hotel) 2 or so. They can also do afternoon dive(s) if required.

Appreciate all the info. My wife and I will be in Chania for a wedding at the end of the month. Good to see the info I found was pretty accurate. Looking forward to some time in the water after a bit of a layoff due to life. Gonna try to do 2 or 3 days with Chania Diving Center. Might be better to ask them, but will they pick up from as far out as Minoa Palace? Thanks!

Appreciate all the info. My wife and I will be in Chania for a wedding at the end of the month. Good to see the info I found was pretty accurate. Looking forward to some time in the water after a bit of a layoff due to life. Gonna try to do 2 or 3 days with Chania Diving Center. Might be better to ask them, but will they pick up from as far out as Minoa Palace? Thanks!
Welcome! That area is a touristic hot spot so I guess they pick up customers around there on a daily basis. Of course you need to arrange it with them in advance and they will tell you details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom