Moving to Crete, Greece…diving suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

badfishnt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m moving to Crete this month and excited to have such easy access to diving. Any suggestions regarding the best time of year to dive?

I’d also love any suggestions of favorite dive sites! 🤿

Welcome. Where about Crete?

I am from and live in Chania (west part). We are blessed to have a very nice dive store ( Chania Diving Center | Diving Services in Chania, Crete ) owned by a very active guy (Nikos).
They cater from snorkeling and up to trimix/ccr/cave courses and dives.

I have dived several sites mostly in the western part and I can give you as much info as you would like.
Apart from this I have dived Kalypso ( Kalypso diving center Crete, scuba diving school Rethymno, snorkeling, PADI dive resort and dive center crete ) which is the best point in the whole island: very interesting rock formations and a lot of (bigger) fish as the owner there have managed to prevent locals from fishing out the area.
I have also dive around Mononaftis ( Mononaftis · Gazi 715 00, Griechenland ) which is an area frequently dived by the diving centers around Heraklion - the biggest city of the island. Apart from these I don't know much.

As for when - I try to dive year around 1-2 dives a week (weather, job and family permitting of course) and it is definitely possible especially if you dive dry or can tolerate 60oF / 15oC water with wetsuit for the winter months (mid January to mid April). In summer water temperatures rise up to about 80oF in August.

Most of the dive shops open only for the summer season (begin of April to end of October) and close for the winter. Summer season gets very busy (especially July and August) with tourists etc. Winter is more calm and quiet. Luckily Nikos is open and active year long.

Got to go. Talk to you later

Thanks for the information @stepfen! How exciting; I'll be living in or around Chania too!

I do have a dry suit and a cold water wet suit that I was thinking of getting rid of before my move, but now you have me thinking twice about that decision.

Another random question for you: How difficult do you think it might be to get a Poseidon Jetstream regulator serviced on Crete?

Great, maybe we can dive together one day!!!! I use to dive now and then with another two guys from the USA but they left just a couple of years ago. Once I find some time I will write you a review of local dive sites.

I don't think anybody on Crete will (officially) do Poseidons. I don't know if Nikos can service them. Their distributor for Greece is located in Athens and they also do maintenance: Regulator’s Maintenance Service - ΣΠΥΡΟΣ ΚΑΡΤΕΛΙΑΣ DIVE

They quote 75 euros per reg set which I think is pretty reasonable. On top of that you should expect another maybe 20 euros per way shipping cost and (again my guestimate) 1 to 2 weeks return time.

Let me know if you need anything other info!

I was about to start a thread about Crete as well so this comes in handy. I will be traveling there in July and stay about 10 days. I’ll be sure to follow stepfens advice!

So from what I gather I shouldn’t bring my 7mm semi-dry? It’ll be overkill for July right?

I was about to start a thread about Crete as well so this comes in handy. I will be traveling there in July and stay about 10 days. I’ll be sure to follow stepfens advice!

So from what I gather I shouldn’t bring my 7mm semi-dry? It’ll be overkill for July right?

Yeap I think so. By July water near the surface is usually around 25oC. Around 18m there is usually a thermocline and further down the temperature can drop to around 20oC but generally people can do this with 5mm or even shorties (remember top side it is usually very hot by then hence some cool water feels very refreshing). Of course we are talking about rec dives. Extended bottom times and/or deeper than rec depths will require better insulation.

Here is an overview of dive sites around my home town (Chania / west part of Crete):

- The highlight is Elephant cave. It as big cave (125x25 or so meters) with only the first 10 or so meters of its' entrance underwater/overhead. Once inside the cave you can practically walk or surface swim all of it. Bring as many lights as possible because the rock formations are big and need strong lights to fully enjoy them.

- Agios Onoufrios area is the most visited area because it is nice and easily accessible. One can do several dives including a wall, few easy / OW caves, swim throughs and caverns (with 18 meters or less access to the surface), one a bit more advanced but easy cave etc

- Souda bay was a very busy port during WW1 and WW2 hence there are several shipwrecks. Unfortunately most of them are outside rec limits. Within rec limits there is only the leftovers or Minnewaska ship from WW1. The ship was 183m long but most of it was looted for scrap. Only some parts of it (still quite nice to see) remain in place today at around 20m. There is also a Messerschmitt Bf109 airplane at exactly 40m for more advanced divers. All that area has a bottom of quite steep sandy slope hence it has characteristics of muck diving including some macro life for those interested. Problem is the visibility is usually quite limited (for local standards) and the bottom can be very easily disturbed reducing it even more.

- There are other sites scattered around. Most of them include some easy caverns or swimtroughs and other nice rock formations. There are also dive sites on the south or west coast of the island but those are more remote and difficult to access.

More can be seen here: Dive Sites | Chania Diving Center

Usually there is good visibility and no currents at all (we don't have noticeable tides). There is a lack of big fish life (due to overfishing). Occasionally there are some groupers , moray eels, octopuses, scorpion fish etc. Recently there is an increasing number of lion fish (they recently invaded Mediterranean sea through the Suez canal and they are spreading like the plague ). I've seen some tuna, amberjack and rays but those are rare sightings. There is also macro life for those who bother looking for it.

Unfortunately most nice sites are accessible only by boat and I don't have one. I only dive wherever I can access by my car and nowadays I dive mostly solo (I don't mind diving with others but I don't have buddies matching my strange hours off work).

As for dive stores there are several. As I said earlier only one (Chania diving) is open year long and also caters tec divers (on top of the usual rec stuff). It is the only one offering nitrox in the area. The other big dive store is Omega divers which mainly does elephant cave because it is the nearest one there. Other smaller dive stores are scattered around and each specializes around its' area. They all mostly do morning trips (2 dives) starting around 9am and returning around 2pm. Of course one can arrange afternoon and/or night dives as well.

I hope these help. Let me know if you need more info.

Sweet topic. I'm planing on spending some time in Crete. And this is perfect.

I have also dive around Mononaftis

I spent a week there, some 20 years ago or so. Enjoyed it very much. It was around Easter, season was just starting : maximum 3 divers (me included) in the water.

We were swimming among all pottery all the time and among salp. My dad even took is very first (and only) dive. Nice memories.

I hope to be diving near Chania and Iraklion in early June and again in September. Though I'll probably bring my dry suit.

Seems like we need to arrange a SB meeting here :)

I hope to be diving near Chania and Iraklion in early June and again in September. Though I'll probably bring my dry suit.

For September dry suit sounds a bit of an overkill as the water (and topside) is still quite warm.
In June water is still a bit cool (20-22oC) so a drysuit is doable with thin undergament especially if you do longer/deeper dives. Top side might be hot as hell though but I don't know if it is manageable (I got my first dry suit last November so I don't know yet how it feels during summer).

Kosta I will be glad to meet you, so please let me know if/when you get some free time during your visit for some meze or ouzo or whatever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom