Moved to Bonaire? Please tell us your story.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt that I would ever buy a second home in the islands - However, I could be talked into purchasing a 1/4th interest with three other families and doing three months a year in the islands...

I am not looking -- just saying!

My sort-of BIL has done that in Costa Rica. The bunch of them are into surfing rather than diving..

drrich..I do agree with you 100%. There is such a thing as island fever. So here's our solution; 7 1/2 months in beautiful New England, 4 1/2 months on Bonaire. Now all I've got to do is stop working. :D
That sounds great to me! My wife and I are looking to return to New England (I grew up in NH), and at the same time, looking at the possibility of buying a rentable place on Bonaire.

That sounds great to me! My wife and I are looking to return to New England (I grew up in NH), and at the same time, looking at the possibility of buying a rentable place on Bonaire.

Well we'll eventually be looking in the Winnepausaki or Sunapee area of NH or the Sebago lake area of Maine. I LOVE Maine lobsta (sorry that stuff in the Caribbean just can't even come close to it)..and autumn in New England, really just can't be beat. Winters?? well they sure as heck will NOT be in N.E. but on our favorite island in the sun!

We have been living here part time since July 2004 and full time since May 2005. A few things about living on Bonaire.

1. You need to be flexible. Instant gratification on Bonaire is not possible. Also, don't make your "to do" list more than 3 or 4 items a day, and be really happy if you accomplish 2. You also have to be creative, sometimes the solution you need is not available, so you have to come up with an alternative solution (especially when it comes repairs!)

2. You need to understand and appreciate the culture. It is not "Americanized". For example, the locals consider it "rude" to say no. Example: If you are having work done on your home, don't ask the question, Will this be done by Wednesday? The answer will always be yes, with the hope they can get it down by Wednesday, but when Wednesday comes, it, in all likelihood will not be done. To get a more accurate reading on the situation, ask "What day with this be finished?".

4. I have to tell you I don't think, over all that it is more expensive to live here than the states. Food is more expensive, but health care and property taxes are much less. I can tell you that some things are MUCH less expensive if ordered from the US. Patio chairs I wanted for the Inn were 125,00 each (about $70 each) and I found them at Lowes On Line on sale for $18.74 each! Including shipping and duty, I saved $335.00. Also with the new infastructure setup, there will no longer be duty on items (with the exception of new cars - 25%), so prices will hopefully be much lower soon! On the other hand, I got my solid teak dining tables and chairs for about 1/3 less here on Bonaire, then I would have paid in the states!

5. Basic medical care is very good on Bonaire, and it is only going to get better, with the direct ties to Holland. They are big on preventive care and alternative medicince complimenting traditional medicine. I had a medical emergency last year, had medical care and surgery at a private hospital in Curacao and was VERY happy with the care, doctors, hospitals, everything. I didn't get a bill, or have to pay cent...it was all covered by insurance! Also FYI if you are over 60 and a retiree you have to obtain private insurance.

I think the factors you need to consider if you want to move here are these:

Do you want to live a laid back relaxed lifestyle, then when you get the urge for "concrete civilization", you are a flight away, and Bonaire could be a good option for you. RU ok with dealing with different cultures, languages and people?

If you are into shopping malls, bustling city life and instant gratification, well then Bonaire is not for you.

Hope this helps.

Liz

Thanks Liz for your excellent posting! So much truth in what you wrote..Especially for us the following:

1. The Bonairean people do not like to say "No". We learned this very quickly in talking with the builder at Bellevue when it was being constructed. Will this be ready by next week..."Yes""; Can you do this.."Yes we can" ..Never did I hear the word "no". Of course what they said and what actually transpired were two very different things.

2. We still to this day joke about how dumb we were to ship down beach chairs which cost us approximately $200 per chair (after shipping/duty etc etc). An absolute fiasco.
the same chairs in the states; $30.
When we're shopping here in NJ we always comment; Boy wouldn't it be great to have a (bed bath & beyond/ Home Depot etc etc etc) on Bonaire. Of course that will never happen.

3. My favorite of yours.."you need to be flexible". So very very true. Bonaire ain't like "home" nor would we want it to be... :wink:

That’s a great story DiverLiz!! I hope you are doing much better medical wise and are enjoying living out your dream. The curve life threw at you certainly would make one reevaluate what’s important in life, and where and what you really want to be doing.

I do have a question for you, Vince and anyone else who has had the guts to make the move, either permanently or part time to Bonaire. If you are now covered by “Bonairian Health Insurance” or whatever it is down there, did you have to give up your US citizenship to qualify and become a citizen of Bonaire? Or do you maintain dual citizenship? My understanding is that my insurance here in the US is void for anything I would need done down there.

Second question: How does that affect any social security and Medicare benefits you would be eligible to qualify for here, if you changed residency? Not that the ponzi scheme is going to be there for me anyway, but I am still interested. I’m not concerned with any private 401K’s or investments.

Finally, like most every diver, I once had a dream of doing the same thing you did. But after I talked about it and investigated it for several years, my dad realized that it was more than just the islands or the booze talking. He was my best friend, and brought it all into clarity one night by a campfire. In his usual fashion, he really did encourage me to pursue my dream, while at the same time asking me some hard questions hoping I would rethink it. I did.

Can you tailgate at college football games down there? I know there’s fishing, but are there good places to camp and hunt? Can you play that tennis thing you do a couple of times a week down there? Will you get back often enough for us to still hang out and pal around together?

Well, both my parents have passed on now, and I still toy with the idea from time to time, but I’ve pretty much settled on trying to have my cake and eat it too. I own one timeshare at Buddy’s, and another on Grand Cayman. I can get 2 weeks a year out of each. I’m looking for one in Belize and Cozumel as well. You’d be surprised at what you can pick a 2BR up for off the net when someone goes through a divorce or financial hard times. If I can head south for 6 to 8 weeks a year, I can live with that.

I do have a question for you, Vince and anyone else who has had the guts to make the move, either permanently or part time to Bonaire. If you are now covered by “Bonairian Health Insurance” or whatever it is down there, did you have to give up your US citizenship to qualify and become a citizen of Bonaire? Or do you maintain dual citizenship? My understanding is that my insurance here in the US is void for anything I would need done down there.

Second question: How does that affect any social security and Medicare benefits you would be eligible to qualify for here, if you changed residency? Not that the ponzi scheme is going to be there for me anyway, but I am still interested. I’m not concerned with any private 401K’s or investments.

Finally, like most every diver, I once had a dream of doing the same thing you did. But after I talked about it and investigated it for several years, my dad realized that it was more than just the islands or the booze talking. He was my best friend, and brought it all into clarity one night by a campfire. In his usual fashion, he really did encourage me to pursue my dream, while at the same time asking me some hard questions hoping I would rethink it. I did.

SC..Let me clarify my relationship to Bonaire. Currently I am strictly "part time". I'm only down there 5 weeks a year and rent out VINIBU during the remaining time period.. I am employed full time in the U.S. and do NOT have any citizenship on Bonaire. I never entertained any plans of trying to earn a living on Bonaire. Eventually when I stop working I plan on being down there for a longer duration, but I have never considered relinquishing my U.S. citizenship.

As far as in the future, I very well may acquire a residency permit on Bonaire when I stop working in the U.S., however the key is I do NOT want to be taxed on my U.S. income nor assets by the Bonaire Gov. From what I understand in talking with others who actually do what I plan on doing, there are certain time limits with a residency permit where if breached would subject you to be exposed to taxes on all world-wide income (like in the US). I do pay all taxes to the Bonaire Gov on income generated by the property however there is a foreign tax credit under U.S. internal revenue code which avoids double taxation.

As far as investing in a foreign country, the utmost due diligence is required. Can't stress this enough, especially with new construction. We took risks, had experienced an excellent folks involved with the project and fortunately it all worked out. The only "regret" I have (if i can say that) is... I would have purchased a bit more, not less.

Thanks, I'm doing much better. Regarding your questions:

Insurance: First we ARE and always will be American Citizens, but w are Bonairean Residents. Our insurance is the government insurance that is provided by the company I own. It really cheap compared to the US, and I'm happy with the care I've recieved.

As for a retiree, you will need to get your own health insurance. I know that through the chamber (I also volunteer in the recompression chamber, divers who need to go in carry DAN, and their private insurance companies re-imburse them for payments made. You need to check with your insurance company in the states. You can also look at a company called IMG, which does medical insurance for US citizens who live abroad.

My husband just started his taking his social security in Dec 2009. We have a US bank account and that it where the $ goes. We do not have it brought down here, then we would be double taxed. We do however how to report any interest owned on foreign accounts, so we do that. If we need to draw on the $ in the US we have our debit card, which works fine down here.

As far as tailgating, no, but you can go to Lee's or you can watch your games at home on various ESPN stations and have a party. We do that for superbowl every year. You can go camping on Bonaire, but it is "beach camping" and you need a permit to do so. No hunting, sorry. Unless you consider iguana game.

If you are truly interested in moving to Bonaire, I have a great business you may be interested in!!!! LOL...

Liz

That’s a great story DiverLiz!! I hope you are doing much better medical wise and are enjoying living out your dream. The curve life threw at you certainly would make one reevaluate what’s important in life, and where and what you really want to be doing.

Can you tailgate at college football games down there? I know there’s fishing, but are there good places to camp and hunt? Can you play that tennis thing you do a couple of times a week down there? Will you get back often enough for us to still hang out and pal around together?

Well, both my parents have passed on now, and I still toy with the idea from time to time, but I’ve pretty much settled on trying to have my cake and eat it too. I own one timeshare at Buddy’s, and another on Grand Cayman. I can get 2 weeks a year out of each. I’m looking for one in Belize and Cozumel as well. You’d be surprised at what you can pick a 2BR up for off the net when someone goes through a divorce or financial hard times. If I can head south for 6 to 8 weeks a year, I can live with that.

Back
Top Bottom