Suggestion Move the Solo forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
DevonDiver
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
The 'Solo Diving' forum is in the Technical Diving area. Given that most of the members who get involved in debates on that forum are recreational divers, debating recreational solo diving, and that a common theme of debates is that 'solo is not technical'..... perhaps it would be beneficial to move the forum into the Advanced Diving section?

Thoughts?

... given that many of these threads are created by people who are barely out of OW class, and wanting to solo dive because they can't find dive buddies, I agree that it doesn't belong in the Technical Diving area ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... many of these threads are created by people who are barely out of OW class, and wanting to solo dive because they can't find dive buddies,

Personally, I think that some of those discussions are borderline against the ToS (advocating unsafe diving practices, as per the major diving agencies)... but that is another issue.

The only solo cert I am aware of is from a recreational agency. It does not belong in the technical diving forum.

-----

Personally, I understand the problem of a newly minted diver not being able to find a buddy. In the era of scuba as primarily a dive travel sport, local diving is not nearly what it used to be and if you have 100 divers in the local area 80 of them probably would not lower themselves to engaging in local cold water diving.

And to make it worse, the most likely buddies for a now diver are other new divers and personally, I'm not sure that is safer than being solo for a variety of reasons that are beyond the scope of this thread.

But it makes more sense to have those discussions and the role of proper configuration and training in a recreational forum.

Back
Top Bottom