Mouting a Cannister light on a back plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darth_Rahl

Registered
Reaction score
so I've bought a used 10 watt salvo light, and I was wondering if anyone had some pictures detailing how to properly mount it on a back plate, and still be able to get to the light switch.

i know plate mounting can be done, but most folks put it on the right side waist belt (and tuck their long hose under it). i hope you get help to plate mount if that's what you'd like.

From the GUE website

GUE Equipment Configuration

true_acb-kelp.jpg

Put it on the belt... I don't see any advantage to mounting on the plate.

To keep the canister from moving too far back use a keeper or a bullet wt to keep it where you want it....

(I'll let you know the next time I'll be down in Monterey if you want me to take a look at it)

Last edited:
so I've bought a used 10 watt salvo light, and I was wondering if anyone had some pictures detailing how to properly mount it on a back plate, and still be able to get to the light switch.
I don't have a photo handy, so text will be all I can offer. Also, I am not sure if all would agree this is 'properly' attached, but ... I dive a Dive Rite 10W with an OMS BP. I mount the light INVERTED, at the bottom right of the plate, using two small SS quick links that run through the nylon webbing loops on the mounting hardware, and through holes on the BP. To reach the switch, I run my hand down the BP edge, to the light, then down to the top of the light.

I don't have a photo handy, so text will be all I can offer. Also, I am not sure if all would agree this is 'properly' attached, but ... I dive a Dive Rite 10W with an OMS BP. I mount the light INVERTED, at the bottom right of the plate, using two small SS quick links that run through the nylon webbing loops on the mounting hardware, and through holes on the BP. To reach the switch, I run my hand down the BP edge, to the light, then down to the top of the light.

This is EXACTLY what my buddy does with his Sartek 10w HID and an OMS BP. I have mine on my waist belt. I use to have mine on my BP too, but switched because many times my rig is floated waiting for me to don and it was just easier to carry the light back and forth and not worry about it getting banged up or worse, stolen while I was finishing up prep.

I would worry about crushing the light if it was mounted on the plate... I have seen people mounting canisters below the BP in a horizontal orientation .... That could be an expensive lesson.

Mine is on my wast strap, right side so I can reach the switch and can ditch it if I REALLY need to. And believe me, I'd REALLY be in a bad situation if I'm gonna ditch it. But if I haveta I will.

Randy,
I'm with you there... The "ditch the canister" is a holdover from when canister lights were huge tubes with lead acid batteries. With the newer NIMH batteries there's so much more you can do before you have to ditch... plus with a balanced rig it's very, very unlikely

Randy,
I'm with you there... The "ditch the canister" is a holdover from when canister lights were huge tubes with lead acid batteries. With the newer NIMH batteries there's so much more you can do before you have to ditch... plus with a balanced rig it's very, very unlikely

So true. I can't imagine having to ditch the thing but I can if I want to. I too think mounting it to the plate would make it more difficult in almost all situations, to handle the thing. Also would seem to me would be easier to damage it, too.

Also, I really need it on my right side where I can dress the long hose behind. Makes the perfect ( well, almost ) perfect way to stow the hose.

I would worry about crushing the light if it was mounted on the plate... I have seen people mounting canisters below the BP in a horizontal orientation .... That could be an expensive lesson.

Oh, it's not an issue. To clarify, it's attached vertically along the right side of the backplate, not the bottom. Definitely not butt-mounted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom