Mouth breather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Bear

Well done. I take my hat off to you for your perserverance. The fact is that diving is not a natural activity - just look at the kit you have to put on to keep you alive. Just about everyone must suffer from feelings of anxiety when they learn. I remember my first ever dive. It was a try dive and the instructor explained that in order to do it I had to remove the second stage underwater blow out some bubbles and then replace the second stage. At this point my head is about 1" under the surface and can I do this - it took at least 4 attempts and I can remember the feeling of panic when I took the second stage out of my mouth. Eventually I managed it went on the try dive and enjoyed it so much that we (my wife also did the try dive) signed up for the OW course starting the next day.

You certainly need to feel confident with the regulator - I would feel most nervous if it felt like "sucking through a straw", but the regulator doesn't need to be adjustable. I have an Oceanic CDX Alpha 7. This is a non adjustable relatively inexpensive reg but it breathes really well. You may find that as you get more experience you use less air and therefore demand less from the regulator. However at the depths you will have been operating at in your training any regulator properly serviced should have been delivering enough air without undue effort on your part.

If you feel that you are definitely into scuba for the duration you might want to check out getting your own reg set even at this early stage. Knowing that it is yours will give you more confidence. It's nice biting on your own mouthpiece knowing that no one has been there before.

Good Show!:)
The most important thing is always attitude, yours is GREAT! =-)
Sounds like that ADI can use some more training though. There's always a fine line to walk with a student who is having trouble. A good pro recognizes the folks who have that good attitude and will eventually overcome their adversities, and seperates them from the folks for whom this really isn't for them.

Keep it up, sounds like you're well on your way to your C-Card! :D

Hey Diving Bear,

You mentioned having to fight the urge to surface when there's a problem. I had that problem in our confined water dives (which weren't in a pool but in a protected bay). I found that once I was in a deep water situation...well relatively deep water, 30 ft on our Open Water Dives...I didn't feel this way.

It was like my brain new that air, real air that I'm not carrying on my back was just a few feet away. Once it was further away, I had an easier time with it.

Like most things, just give it time.:jester:

Glad to hear you are making progress! All these incidents will probably help you in the long run. You are clearly thinking your way through this. Keep up the good work.

When is your trip to Hawaii?

Bear - you've had some really sage advice from the gang. I'm just going to give you some assurance that you're not the only person ever to feel that it isn't working (and yes, I've had the highs like your deep end pool time too).

I'm a pretty new diver myself - just completed the PADI Open Water. I can tell you, there were moments when I wondered if I was in the right sport. But like yourself, persistence with a good instructor (boy, do they need patience!!) gets you through.

You're going to have some less enjoyable moments, but wow, are they going to be worth every one when you experience sights and scenes that only divers ever see.

Stick with it! There's a lot of us rooting for you.

.... well, last night was our last night before our trip. I knew I was too far behind to get all the skills in and there is no way we will be able to take our OW in Hawaii :(

This is actually good news:), though. One, it saves us over $500 in OW cert costs and two, it gives me more time to get comfortable in the water. I plan to pursue my OW when we get back. I still have that instinct to surface when I have problems, but I am getting better (I think) and want to work on that. I would rather spend the time getting comfortable and therefore not be a liability to my buddy (who is also my wife).

Thank you all for your support and encouragement.

Bear

I'm glad to hear that you're looking at it as more time to feel comfortable....cause in the in end that's more important.

Not doing your OW Cert in Hawaii doesn't mean that you can't dive there though...you can do a Discover SCUBA there...if anything, it will just give you more time to get comfortable.

Have a great trip!

After reading these posts, I have to say I am glad I took my dive training at the LDS where I did. My LDS has its own indoor pool built with a 4 foot area then a sheer drop to 15 foot. It made training not only easy, but convenient. Plus they let anyone who trains with them to have access throughout the business day and even at night when they have classes, if their class is small enough to allow extra people in the water. This means you can come in gear up and get plenty of practice time. Even the people I have talked to who work days seem to find that they can usually get some pool time on the weekends. The only time it is really a problem is when they have to run two sections of classes on a weekend which only happens about twice a year.

They also use the pool to allow customers to try out equipment they are considering buying. This is a big plus for the customer and the LDS.

And no I don't work for them, although it probably sounds like I do.

That sounds like a smart LDS. If you had service like that and the ability to try out equipment for real, you would think twice about buying online just to save money.

Wow - you're showing real character Bear. Good on you. It's the hardest thing sometimes to accept that you need more time or that conditions just aren't right.

One thing is sure. More people have come to harm by ignoring that little voice than by doing the brave thing and taking a pause.

You're going to be a great diver - and one to seek out as a buddy. Your LDS sounds wonderful. They are supporting you and have super facilities. What more could you ask for.

MN

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom