Mounting Tanks Valve side down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mounting tanks upside down is a bad idea and there are a score of fatalities to back that up. There is a good reason why it is advises, accepted, recommended etc. that you keep your valves in the proper top position. It is safer, easier to access, less likely for damage to occur etc. etc. There isn't a good reason to stray from this as there is so much data to support the reasoning why. Not to mention that the worlds best divers, the record holders and the ones with the most experience all agree on this is a good indication to not reinvent the wheel and stick with what works. There are just too many horror stories from incidents with inverted tanks.

I'm not using doubles yet but eventually will. I was wondering if it is easier to reach the valves on the doubles then the valave on a single tank? --- I certainly hope so because I think I will have the same problem as rdriver. I can't even get close to reaching the valve for my single.

Exept for the reason soggy gave, the donning problem of the rig, why is it a bad idea to invert the tanks?

only curious

Ok, good question. If the valve is upside down, there is a large probability of damage. Also if there is a damage, leak etc. from the first stage or valve, it is almost impossible to notice, feel or hear it. Probably you notice it when the hose goes tight. Not fun.

There have also been many divers who have sat on, knocked and countless other blunders to their tanks when inverted, and lets face it, equipment is not cheap.

If you are having trouble reaching the valve for your tank, then the tank is not positioned properly. If you have the tank as high as it can go then there might be an issue with the type of bcd you are using and it may not allow you to position it properly.

If you use a plate/harness usually there is no issues what so ever, and in the unlikely event that you are in a position where it is difficult, you loosen the belt buckle on the harness to all you to push up the plate/harness to reach the valve.

Also your hands should always be in a position where you can see the computer on your right hand, compass on the left, and access your spg clipped off on the waist d ring. reaching over your shoulder and behind your neck to do gas shut off or to isolate a tank is very very easy and accessible. Having the valves below and behind in a tight spot can leave you in a position to not have any way to do a shutdown, and the obvious result of that is scary. If your hands are always in a position to reach the valves below you then how do you look at your gauges? You can't. How do you adjust the buoyancy for the bcd and dry suit? you can't. With your hands and valves in the forward position you have easy access to everything you need.

I hope this helps.

Just interested in some information on the fatalities from diving with the tank inverted?

Mounting tanks upside down is a bad idea and there are a score of fatalities to back that up

I have not seen it done in recreational situations but for SCBA operations it is the norm.

Very common for emergency gas supply in commercial work to be inverted as well.

Jeff Lane

The only good reason inverting is not done more often is because scuba valves are not designed to take the kind of abuse that they'd get subjected to.
SCBA bottles are much lighter & their valves are designed and made to handle the rough treatment.
I dive my bailouts inverted, sometimes even slung crossways on my butt. MUCH less chance to whack the critters, and also much easier to clear when fouled.
After all, which is easier; scratching your butt, or scratching yourself between the shoulderblades?
I'll stay away from commenting on the dive computer useage. :tease:

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...

Also your hands should always be in a position where you can see the computer on your right hand, compass on the left, and access your spg clipped off on the waist d ring. reaching over your shoulder and behind your neck to do gas shut off or to isolate a tank is very very easy and accessible. Having the valves below and behind in a tight spot can leave you in a position to not have any way to do a shutdown, and the obvious result of that is scary. If your hands are always in a position to reach the valves below you then how do you look at your gauges? You can't. How do you adjust the buoyancy for the bcd and dry suit? you can't. With your hands and valves in the forward position you have easy access to everything you need.

I hope this helps.

I'm curious. Do you ever read this nonsense that you post, or does it just materialize?

Instead of saying the valves work better up because they do, you give a load of utter nonsense trying to prove a non-thing. Are you really a tec diver, or one of those 3 day DIR-F wonders?
Never mind, I don't care.
This also applies to that stupid statement you made about "scores have died".

You people really crack me up.

Bob,
I was under the impression that those divator rigs were actually pretty popular. There are several of them collecting dust at my shop. Apparantly, they know of one guy that still uses his.

The best part about mounting tanks upside down, though, is the jet-pack effect when your friends take a hammer to the valves. :)

brandon

One of my crazy friends took an old aluminum bottle, taped a couple of half-sticks of dynamite on the side of the valve & stuck it in a big pipe. Darn thing only went about 50 yards. (got it on video though)
... collecting dust at my shop ...
Divators are popular in Europe, not so much here in the USA.
The critters give about 80 some cu ft of gas if filled properly, and they're in a nice compact form. Excellent balance. An old Seatec wing even fits on their harness with very little modification. Pretty radical for back in the early '70s.
They need over 12,000 psi for a hydro though, another snag for a small town diver.
Any of them for sale? :wink:
Have any triple 40s?

maybe I'm a little thick but could you explain what you mean
"Also your hands should always be in a position where you can see the computer on your right hand, compass on the left, and access your spg clipped off on the waist d ring. reaching over your shoulder and behind your neck to do gas shut off or to isolate a tank is very very easy and accessible. Having the valves below and behind in a tight spot can leave you in a position to not have any way to do a shutdown, and the obvious result of that is scary. If your hands are always in a position to reach the valves below you then how do you look at your gauges? You can't. How do you adjust the buoyancy for the bcd and dry suit? you can't. With your hands and valves in the forward position you have easy access to everything you need."

How does the inversion of tanks affect where your hands are? It would only take a moment to shut off a tank in either position so your hands would be free after that to do with them what you will.

It would be easier to turn a tank valve if they are inverted - its just easier to reach the hip then the shoulder blade don't you think? I don't agree that inverted tanks put the valves in a tight spot at all. To me, the upright tanks are harder to reach.

anyone else?

I hope this helps. [/B][/QUOTE]

was supposed to be in above post

oopppss

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom