Motion sickness question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am the poster child for seasickness :depressed: I suffer terribly! As much as I LOVE to dive, I can't even consider setting foot on a boat without being prepared. I used to depend on oral Scopolamine, but found the side effects unpleasant. I can now happily report that I have discovered something that works even better for me without fail.

Stugeron (cinnarizine)

I won't travel without it. On our last dive trip in Roatan, we undertook a day trip with Aqua Adventures to dive Cayos Cochinos. The seas were rough and I knew it was going to be a difficult day for me, but I took my 75 mg dose the evening before and the morning of our trip and even made sure to bring along a few extras just in case. I was happy I did. On board was a lady from Spain with her family. By the time we reached Cayos Cochinos she was deathly ill and as pale as a ghost...I don't think I have ever seen anyone so sick :(

I decided I would try to help her, so I butted into her business and told her I had something that would really help her make it through the rest of the day. I showed her the medication and she told me she was a pharmacist in Spain and they prescribed that medication for vertigo...she didn't see how it would help her. I suppose she decided things couldn't get any worse, so she decided to try it and swallowed a 75 mg pill. By the time I surfaced from the first dive, she was actually smiling. After hanging out on the boat for our surface interval, I was shocked to see her gearing up to make the second dive! She was so happy and thanked me profusely.

On the way back over to Roatan, the seas got so rough...we were looking at 8 ft. waves all around us. The wind was blowing so much that it actually ripped the fabric cover off of the boat. The sweet pharmacist from Spain was riding up on the fly bridge with the wind blowing through her hair the whole trip...with a smile on her face :D

A few weeks ago we were diving in Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center when I noticed one of the girls on the boat getting sick. It happened that we were staying at the same place, so I gave her some medicine to help her get through her diving. She made it through the rest of the week with no problems...saved her dive trip!

So I know it's not just my personal preference...I have observed this medication working miracles in more than one case. I swear by it and suffer no side effects whatsoever. It's definitely worth checking out.

I am the poster child for seasickness :depressed: I suffer terribly! As much as I LOVE to dive, I can't even consider setting foot on a boat without being prepared. I used to depend on oral Scopolamine, but found the side effects unpleasant. I can now happily report that I have discovered something that works even better for me without fail.

Stugeron (cinnarizine)

I won't travel without it. On our last dive trip in Roatan, we undertook a day trip with Aqua Adventures to dive Cayos Cochinos. The seas were rough and I knew it was going to be a difficult day for me, but I took my 75 mg dose the evening before and the morning of our trip and even made sure to bring along a few extras just in case. I was happy I did. On board was a lady from Spain with her family. By the time we reached Cayos Cochinos she was deathly ill and as pale as a ghost...I don't think I have ever seen anyone so sick :(

I decided I would try to help her, so I butted into her business and told her I had something that would really help her make it through the rest of the day. I showed her the medication and she told me she was a pharmacist in Spain and they prescribed that medication for vertigo...she didn't see how it would help her. I suppose she decided things couldn't get any worse, so she decided to try it and swallowed a 75 mg pill. By the time I surfaced from the first dive, she was actually smiling. After hanging out on the boat for our surface interval, I was shocked to see her gearing up to make the second dive! She was so happy and thanked me profusely.

On the way back over to Roatan, the seas got so rough...we were looking at 8 ft. waves all around us. The wind was blowing so much that it actually ripped the fabric cover off of the boat. The sweet pharmacist from Spain was riding up on the fly bridge with the wind blowing through her hair the whole trip...with a smile on her face :D

A few weeks ago we were diving in Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center when I noticed one of the girls on the boat getting sick. It happened that we were staying at the same place, so I gave her some medicine to help her get through her diving. She made it through the rest of the week with no problems...saved her dive trip!

So I know it's not just my personal preference...I have observed this medication working miracles in more than one case. I swear by it and suffer no side effects whatsoever. It's definitely worth checking out.

Are the side effects like dramamine? I feel a little bit off when taking dramamine and get drowsy. If I have a beer afterwards... forget about it... I am out cold.

No...I feel no side effects whatsoever. Dramamine doesn't even BEGIN to prevent the level of seasickness I suffer. I can take the maximum dosage and feel like I've taken nothing. Scopolamine worked well, but gave me the same side effects as Dramamine...dry mouth, drowsiness, etc. I didn't feel comfortable taking it, but really had no choice. The discovery of Stugeron has really made a HUGE difference for me!

No...I feel no side effects whatsoever. Dramamine doesn't even BEGIN to prevent the level of seasickness I suffer. I can take the maximum dosage and feel like I've taken nothing. Scopolamine worked well, but gave me the same side effects as Dramamine...dry mouth, drowsiness, etc. I didn't feel comfortable taking it, but really had no choice. The discovery of Stugeron has really made a HUGE difference for me!
where do you get this from?

As I've got older I've found I've become more susceptible to sea sickness.

It was a gradual process and initially concentrating on the horizon worked but eventually all the visual and physical techniques failed over time.

Then I started taking Stugeron and found it very effective with no side effects.

I spent a week on a liveaboard off Malin Head, where the swells roll all the way from Canada to Ireland and was never troubled at all but some of my colleagues were extremely ill. I offered them Stugeron and they all recovered and started diving. Mind you they were so sick I could have offered them cyanide and they would have cheerfully taken it; anything to stop feeling so ill!

Best "cure" is dark rum, ginger beer (NOT that weak ginger ale ****) with a dash of grenadine. It's called a Dark and Stormy for a reason.

I too am a poster child for motion sickness (and quite a treat to have as a boatmate in anything more than a light chop) :wink:

My wife prescribed some Zofran (ondansetro) for me. Similar to
CajinDiva, Roatan diving, moderate-to-heavy chop (in fact the second morning dive was canceled), and it worked wonderfully for me. No dry mouth, no real side effects, and most important no spewing

Warnings (as least as I understand them). Zofran will not prevent the symptoms associated with motion sickness (like Vertigo), but you will not be hanging over the rail. In high dosage extended period of adminisration situations (Zofran is used for chemotherapy patients), it can cause necrosis in the GI tract.

Of course I'm not a Dr., and I haven't even stayed in a Holiday Inn recently, but it worked brilliantly for me

On my 27 foot ocean sportfishing boat - many people who said they don't get seasick do. The same when I've been on an 80ft deepsea fishing boat. However, most don't get sick when underway and there is chop. It is most likely when we're moving slowly/sitting still and the rocking of the boat all of a sudden hits!!! I saw this with a guy a couple of months ago when diving from an 80ft charter boat when we anchored by Yaquina Head (Newport, Oregon) - he thought he was doing fine until we stopped. He didn't dive - but spent the time leaning over the side :( . There were no fumes as a breeze was coming off the bow (anchored).

I am not particularly prone to seasickness, but I have spent many hours at sea deepsea fishing and have been on a number of boatdives. I have found that Promethazine 25mg has taken away any feelings (anxiety) of seasickness that may occur. Before I get onto a diveboat I take 1/2 tablet. I also may take an additional antihistamine. I don't know if this works, but I'm 61 and have used this approach for 20+ years and have never (knock on my wooden head) been seasick. Warning - I would not take these to combat congestion - all divers should understand why not.

Anyone else use Promethazine?

Of course I'm not a Dr., and I haven't even stayed in a Holiday Inn recently, but it worked brilliantly for me
:rofl3: I just want to point out how hilarious this line is! Did you guys get it? It's a take-off on those Holiday Inn ads on television, which are also, needless to say, hilarious. You see, he's saying he's not a doctor, and he didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn recently—as if that would confer some special expertise! Brilliant...I'm crying, it's so funny. Whew, I never get tired of that.

Back
Top Bottom