Motion sickness help on liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

littleguppie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are doing a 4 day liveaboard in Sept on the Coral Sea with spirit of freedom and I'm wondering if there has been any great break thrus when it comes to motion sickness meds. I use dramamine for short 1/2 day or day dives but the drug only lasts about 4 hours. I've used the patch aka Transderm Scop and ended up with blurred vision which freaked me out! I couldn't read a menu at a restaurant. NOt the best situtation for diving. I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue with the blurred vision and if they tried it again and were not affected? I'm wondering if I'd always experience that side effective. Most likely. so, with that being the case what are my options to control horrible motion sickness?? Please help! I'm so nervous for the trip when I want to be excited.

unfortunately this article does not site any new options. I guess maybe there aren't any. Perhaps I should try out the transderm scop patch again and see what happens with my vision. It was a lot more than a little annoying and actually quite scary for everything to suddenly go blurry. There have to be others on here that battle with this. Maybe there is a better place on the forum to post the question?

We are doing our 1st 4 day liveaboard trip on the Great Barrier Reef in Sept. I'm quite nervous about my motion sickness. In the past if I tried Dramamine for day trips and it works pretty good (very tired after) but it only lasts about 4 hours.

I've used the patch aka Transderm scop but I was the small percentage of the population that experienced blurred vision. It was very scary and much more than a minor inconvenience.

I'm wondering if others have had the blurred vision problem and if they kept taking it if it went away. I just simply stopped taking it immediately and it went away in 24 hours.

Or is there some new great option out there for people with motion sickness that I don't' know about. Yes, I'm familiar with ginger and pressure point bands. I don't believe those will help my severe motion sickness.

Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

I'm not a medical doctor but I have read that some people who get side effects from the scop patch have better results with the scop pill (Scopace). The reason is that the patch is a one size fits all so that small people get too high a dose and large people don't get enough of the dose. With the pill form, the dose can be adjusted to the minimum required to get relief. The other suggestion would be to try the non-drowsy dramamine since you've had good luck with it.

Triptone is the only thing that works for me.

To me the key is to take 24 hrs in advance! Make sure it is in your system and take one before bead the first night on the boat! If the seas are calm I find you don't need anymore, but if you wait till your sick, forget it! I use Mecklazin..... Good luck and don't fool your body let it realize your moving and keep your eye on the horizon as much as possible!

Littleguppie,
The boat normaly leave from 7:00PM thru 10:00PM. Use Dramamine at 2:00PM and then another at 8:00PM. The boat then go up to the lower Ribbon Reefs (over night). Your first dive is at ~7:00AM. The boats park behind the reefs so from this point forward you should be fine. The only problem I have ever had is getting to the first dive site. Have fun and enjoy, Cod hole is fun! and if you get to Ospray reef, even better!

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom