Question Most versatile Caribbean destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for Grenada...
Decent diving. If you can get to Carriacou as well, even better!
Volcanoes are dormant, but Grand Etang Lake and Lake Antoine are old caldera, and Mt St Catharine is volcanic in origin as well. The mountains have a great natural park system, jungle waterfalls to swin under, etc. Getting to warm on the beach or in St Georges? The cool jungle is only a 10min ride away!
History, spices, and more.
My wife and I honeymooned there in 1996 (before I was O/W certified), and took my daughter to visit a bit after she got certified, so I got to dive with her there. Fun for all!

When we were there last, the island was still struggling to recover from Hurricane Ivan. Additionally, the new cruise ship wharf has caused a relocation of many buisinesses and has pretty much killed the charm of The Carenage, but we still love the island.

I am researching possible dive destinations for a 10-12 day trip in May or June (2024 or 2025). Most likely, both divers and non-divers will join this trip.

So: which Caribbean island is the best option regarding the following must-haves:

1. Lots of wrecks and other (man-made) 'structures' (swim-throughs, canyons, walls) at recreational depths (<40m), not just reefs
2. Interesting landscape on land, i.e. volcano, jungle, mountains - not those flat, scrubby wind-swept planes with a palm tree every few miles
3. Interesting things to do (not just beach-going or ATV rides)

Shore diving that people can do on their own is a plus, but not a must-have.

Any suggestions in terms of destination? And even dive operations you can recommend?

Puerto Rico will be a good fit, here is a lot of culture, our dive operation is located at Guanica, Puerto Rico. we are a Resort dive operation, and are located in the ground of a dry forest nature reserve, call by the UNESCO patrimony of the world in 1985, also have Caving, rivers, waterfalls, 1 hour drive. I Think possibly the best diving in the island, and we are reliable and professional dive operation striving to give a great services to all our costumers.

The Wall: An active tectonic plate running along 40 miles south of the island between 3 to 7 miles off the coastline makes up this world-class, epic dive site. Averaging 80’+ visibility, “The Wall” drops from around 50’ to over 2,000’ deep into the abyss of the pelagic zone. Expect to encounter large animal encounters like sharks and barracudas within this ever-growing ecosystem. This site is mainly for advanced and seasoned divers.

The Epicenter: A fissure opening caused by an earthquake in January 2020 gives “The Epicenter” it’s extraordinary name. About 50’-60’ deep in the oceanic floor is home to a great diversity and abundance of healthy coral reefs and tropical marine life such as yellowtail snappers, groupers, angels, rays, and turtles. This site is mainly for open water level and above certified divers.

Downside to the Dominican Republic … Because addresses there make no sense, and even though theres only 2 resorts on the whole island, nobody has ever heard of them, because they arent very smart.
I don’t understand this. There’s like hundreds of resorts in the DR.

Not sure
I don’t understand this. There’s like hundreds of resorts in the DR.
Not sure I understand either , been there at least 6 or 7 times, stay at an all inclusive , staff, entertainment, food, all good. because of going there so often many people around town know me,, find them to be as smart, polite and accommodating...

Puerto Rico is great for diving and have landscape Acuatlly we are a dive operation inside a natural reserve, we have the corals and the guanica wall in puerto rico

Our youtube channel

And near by you have

Ponce old town
San German old town
Guanica Dry Forest
Cabo rojo Salt flats
Tanama river adventure also some spelunking around there .
Cabo rojo Joyuda sea food best ones

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom