Most Powerful Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most powerful dive light in the industry?
The Halcyon 200w HMI light. Equivalent output of 1,000w halogen, at 5,600k for perfect video lighting.

It's also multiple thousands of dollars.

Could anyone please tell me who makes the most powerful hand-held dive light in the industry, currently on the market. (Non-canister)

I would imagine it's an LED.

Thanks!
Dive rite makes some very nice handheld HID's. Why are you against the idea of a can light? IMO they're much easier to use with a goodman handle than an average light.

I think the most powerfull handheld is the tactical from wiseled: 1500 lumen in a flashlight.

The most powerful handheld dive light that is NOT a can light would have to be the Brightstar 24w HID handheld lantern.

I'd rather have the 10w UK Light Canon, but there's no denying that the 24w Brightstar is brighter.

Could anyone please tell me who makes the most powerful hand-held dive light in the industry, currently on the market. (Non-canister)

I would imagine it's an LED.

Thanks!

For open water diving, why would it matter? Personally, I shun ultra powerful lights. They interfere with my night vision. I would rather have a low powered light. (my experiences are mainly tropical and Gulf coast, though. Other geographic areas may differ).

For open water diving, why would it matter? Personally, I shun ultra powerful lights. They interfere with my night vision. I would rather have a low powered light. (my experiences are mainly tropical and Gulf coast, though. Other geographic areas may differ).

They do. Cold water, low vis, you want as much power as possible, generally.

Really cruddy water, you need that power well-focused, too, else you'll just "light up the fog", as it were.

I'll tell you what - you dive with a 24 watt HID Darkbuster in one hand and any other less powered light in the other, and get back to me as to which you prefer (even in tropical good vis waters). You'll likely find the HID to be preferable. Especially for perfect color balance for video or photography (with the amber 5600K filter it comes with)

BTW, to answer the most powerful light question - Sparticlebrain is right, the Halcyon 200 Watt is king, and the Salvo 50Watt is second, but for a tiny fraction of those costs, the Darkbuster is reigning King of lights @ 1750 Lumens for my budget.

Halcyon's burn time is 45 minutes - Darkbuster is almost three hours on Lithium Ion.

I just found out yesterday that you can repair the Darkbuster after a minor flood. I accidently left the charging port cap off when cleaning gear and I was super bummed that it would not charge after a little water got in.

So I had nothing to lose, took it apart, found an in-line fuse that was blown, and replaced it for three bucks. Works like a dream now.

I'll tell you what - you dive with a 24 watt HID Darkbuster in one hand and any other less powered light in the other, and get back to me as to which you prefer (even in tropical good vis waters). You'll likely find the HID to be preferable. Especially for perfect color balance for video or photography (with the amber 5600K filter it comes with)

I don't like the experience of a bright light while night diving. It ruins the night vision. I'm not a photographer or videographer, which is totally different. I like night diving to see the critters. An overly bright light may make their colors come out better, but it also effects their behavior.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom