Most Dangerous in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cancun mark:
There is however something even more dangerous than the box jelly, it is called irukanji, and has the same (australia indo pacific) range. the difference is that it is much smaller, ten times worse, but is not restricted to turbid coastal waters like the box jelly.

This comment piqued minor taxonomic outrage (i.e. WHAT THE ^*#* IS THIS?!), so I looked it up. "Irukanji" is in fact Carukia barnesi, and it is most definitely a box jelly within the Class Cubozoa. Box jellies are NOT restricted to turbid coastal waters, but "merely" subtropical and tropical water throughout the world's oceans. The dang things can pop up near anywhere in this zone, but people are on the coasts, so that's where they're most commonly reported. The terms "box jelly" and "sea wasp" are used to denote all members within this group, not individual species.

Here's a link I cross-checked with, and it's got an outstanding view of two of the four eyes. Check out those wicked googlies! :icon10:
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/cnidaria/C_barnesi.html

Checked out that link:

"...Breathing is difficult; vomiting or coughing may occur. It is probably lethal, although this has not been definitively demonstrated."

What the heck does that last sentence mean? "Probably lethal"? "Never been demonstrated"? In all history, no one has ever died from one of these? I doubt that. Hundreds, if not thousands of people die each year just from bee stings, on land...

JAG

We have box jellies, sea wasps whatever you want to call them here in Okinawa. Have had a few fatalities here over the years, as far as I know all were young children. Adults have been stung there is alot of pain, scarring and some were taken to the hospital but all survived. They are seasonal here and a simple lycra dive skin is plenty of protection. They need bare skin to sting.

we only have sea wasps in Florida, that i know of, in the Gulf of Mexico. nasty sting.

the Atlantic (and likely the Gulf too?) has portugese men of war, which are not nearly
as bad but still put a hurting on you.

True, Drunk redneck is far more deadly than most marine organisms. They're especially bad in swarms.

archman:
This comment piqued minor taxonomic outrage (i.e. WHAT THE ^*#* IS THIS?!),

Ahhh Taxonomy: art within science :eyebrow:

Great link though, I used to live in Cairns, and though I never heard of irukanji when I was there, untill just now I thought that Irukanji was a very Japanese sounding name for something very Australasian.

Seasquirt, Trevor got deposed by a Titan called Mike Tyson from three rocks. I saw him swim in to Hin Khao to fight trevor one day and he kicked his butt. Awsome fight, awesome fight.

there are two subspecies in Florida,

Drunk redneck behindwheel

and

Drunk redneck withguns

which are particularly dangerous

sometimes the two mate, and a hybrid, Drunk redneck behindwheelwithguns is born. mercifuly, their life span
is quite brief.

archman:
True, Drunk redneck is far more deadly than most marine organisms. They're especially bad in swarms.

I believe the proper scientific term is not "SWARM" of rednecks, I believe it is "pickup-full"

There is a larger taxonomic group called a "trailer park" of rednecks. I have been doing some research on the subject, and found a good guide to redneck taxonomic classification

http://www.fortogden.com/foredneck.html

Sea Squirt:
There is a famous Titan trigger in Koh Tao called Trevor who is renowned for taking chunks out of divers' fins, wetsuits, calves, etc.

Trevor's dead now unfortunately! son of trevor now!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom